UPDATED> New for May on the U of Chicago Press website

  • From: Gleason Sackmann <gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NetHappenings <nethappenings@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 07:58:19 -0500

Integrate Literacy, Music, and Technology into the classroom.

Date:   Fri, 14 May 2004 13:31:53 -0500
To:     db@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From:   Dean Blobaum <db@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: New for May on the U of Chicago Press website

Here's what's new for May 2004.

GONZO IN COLOMBIA
The New York Times described Michael Taussig as "a gonzo
anthropologist."  We think that was complimentary . . . .  Gonzo or not,
Taussig has had a profound effect on anthropology,  injecting a critical
self-consciousness into the ethnographer's work.  In _My Cocaine Museum_ he
presents vivid ethnographic snapshots of Colombia, where gold runs in the
rivers and cocaine shapes political realities--gold and cocaine both
wending their way, eventually, through the canyons of Wall Street. We have
a chapter online:
http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/790096.html

ALEISTER CROWLEY IN THE DESERT
Victorian and Edwardian England was a laboratory for modernity--advancing
scientific rationalism as well as the occultish underside: magic, astral
travel, drug experimentation, sex, and alchemy. Alex Owen shows another
side of the Victorians in_The Place of Enchantment: British Occultism and
the Culture of the Modern_. We have an excerpt about Aleister Crowley's
transformative desert sojourn of 1909.  The Queen Mother would have been
appalled. [No pictures, so safe for work.]
http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/642011.html

THE ROAD TO SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA
Since the Middle Ages pilgrims have walked the sacred route from Le Puy in
France, across the Pyrenees, to Santiago in Spain. Conrad Rudolph followed
in their footsteps and wrote a history, meditation, and travel guide:
_Pilgrimage to the End of the World: The Road to Santiago de Compostela_.
In our expert Rudolph weighs the pros and cons of the various routes to
Santiago:
http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/731278.html

SHAKE IT FOR JESUS
Popular Christian culture--the _Left Behind_ series, _VeggieTales_, the
True Love Waits chastity campaign--is more than a marketing niche; it's a
huge industry of video, music, magazines, and kitsch. _Shaking the World
for Jesus: Media and Conservative Evangelical Culture_ by Heather
Hendershot shows how evangelical pop culture has gone mainstream. Read an
excerpt:
http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/326799.html

PLAN AHEAD
We'll feature it on our homepage next month, but why wait?  Reviewers and
golfers have warmly greeted Chicago's perhaps unlikely book project--a
translation of the official rules of golf into intelligble English.  See
our website for the book at http://www.press.uchicago.edu/books/kuhn/ (or
http://www.golfrulesbook.com/).  The book is _The Rules of Golf in Plain
English_  by Jeffrey S. Kuhn and Bryan A. Garner. Father's Day is in June,
right?

Thanks for reading.

*****************************
Dean Blobaum
The University of Chicago Press
1427 East 60th Street
Chicago, IL 60637-2954
http://www.press.uchicago.edu/
Sign up to receive email notification of new titles in any field:
http://www.press.uchicago.edu/mailnotifier/

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
EDUCATIONAL CYBERPLAYGROUND
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com

Net Happenings, K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/index.html

FREE EDUCATION VENDOR DIRECTORY LISTING
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Directory/default.asp

HOT LIST OF SCHOOLS ONLINE