[net-gold] [ResourceShelf] Newsletter 440

  • From: "David P. Dillard" <jwne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Net-Gold <Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple University Net-Gold Archive <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple Gold Discussion Group <TEMPLE-GOLD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sean Grigsby <myarchives1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K12AdminLIFE <K12AdminLIFE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Platinum <net-platinum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Net-Gold @ Nabble" <ml-node+3172864-337556105@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K-12ADMINLIFE <K12ADMIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, MediaMentor <mediamentor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Digital Divide Diversity MLS <mls-digitaldivide@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 05:51:40 -0500 (EST)

.

Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:44:31 +0000
From: Gary Price <gary.price@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: jwne@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ResourceShelf] Newsletter 440

               Off the Shelf: ResourceShelf Newsletter
                  <http://www.resourceshelf.com/>

Number 440                                          January 28, 2010

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

The ResourceShelf Newsletter is a weekly selection of content and
links from ResourceShelf. Please visit the website whenever you have a
free moment to review the latest items:

<http://www.resourceshelf.com/>

RSS Feed: <http://www.resourceshelf.com/feed/>

Visit DocuTicker for a daily update of new reports from government
agencies, NGOs, think tanks and other groups:

<http://www.docuticker.com/>

RSS Feed: <http://www.docuticker.com/feed/>

Just published! FreePint Online Information 2009 Special Report

Request your free copy:
<http://www.freepint.com/events/online-info-2009/>

Insights from event delegates on:

  * What's changing in the industry

  * How they benefited from this year's event --
    and what they'd like to see for next year

  * Forecasts for 2010

"The format is a great success with its no-fluff factual coverage,
soundbites from delegates and simple, logical layout."
-- Past event report user

Request your copy now:
<http://www.freepint.com/events/online-info-2009/>

Do You Have the Information You Need to Keep Your Organisation Compliant?

Participate in the FreePint Compliance Research Project:
<http://digbig.com/5baygb>

Get useful comparisons and industry information on:

  * What products organisations most rely on to
    maintain regulatory compliance

  * How satisfied they are with available features and functions

  * Business drivers that influence purchase decisions

  * And More

This project has been generously sponsored by Bureau van Dijk,
Lexis Nexis, Morningstar and Perfect Information

Get more information: <http://web.freepint.com/go/how/compliance/>

Greetings from St. Pete/Tampa:

And now for something completely different: the current Resource of
the Week. Gary and I riff off of a post on The New York Times 'Bits'
blog that talks about "filtering, collecting and sharing content" with
thousands of strangers. Isn't this what being an information
professional is all about?

We think so. We have the training, the skills, the experience -- and
we should be taking a lead role here. See if you agree.

sdk

For those who partake of social media, you can find us:

On Facebook:

* ResourceShelf:
  <http://www.facebook.com/pages/ResourceShelf/45783383771>

* DocuTicker: <http://www.facebook.com/pages/DocuTicker/44566289460>

* Gary: <http://www.facebook.com/people/Gary-Price/580249905>

* Shirl: <http://www.facebook.com/people/Shirl-Kennedy/566607461>

Or Twitter:

* Combined ResourceShelf and DocuTicker feed:
  <http://www.twitter.com/resourceshelf>

* DocuTicker only feed: <http://www.twitter.com/docuticker>

* Shirl tweets here: <http://twitter.com/webdoyenne>

++ Your DocuTicker and ResourceShelf Editorial Team ++

Shirl Kennedy Senior Editor <shirl.kennedy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Gary Price Founding Editor <gary.price@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Adrian Janes Contributing Editor

Steven Cohen Contributing Editor

Dan Giancaterino Contributing Editor

Laura Gordon-Murnane Contributing Editor

Stuart Basefsky, MLIS Contributing Editor

productive you and your team can be.

FUMSI: Helping everyone Find, Use, Manage and Share Information --
3 month global trial for only £39

'...the practical, tactical lessons-learned support professional
development in an environment where none would be available...'

Order now: <http://web.fumsi.com/go/shop/volume/trial/>

VIP: In-depth, unbiased product reviews and insightful analysis of
changes in the content market that will affect your content portfolio

'I know of no other source that is as highly targeted to my work as an
information manager...'

Order now: <http://web.vivavip.com/go/shop/volume/trial/>

               The latest Searcher's Guide is online at
              <http://www.resourceshelf.com/newsletter/>

Resource of the Week - Some Thoughts on "Controlled Serendipity"
By Gary Price and Shirl Kennedy, editors

Direct link to this post online: http://digbig.com/5bayts

'Controlled Serendipity' Liberates the Web
 (Nick Bilton, New York Times)

    If someone approached me even five years ago and explained that
    one day in the near future I would be filtering, collecting and
    sharing content for thousands of perfect strangers to read - and
    doing it for free - I would have responded with a pretty perplexed
    look. Yet today I can't imagine living in a world where I don't
    filter, collect and share.

    More important, I couldn't conceive of a world of news and
    information without the aid of others helping me find the relevant
    links.

Comments From ResourceShelf

From Gary: "(F)iltering, collecting and sharing content" are things
that info pros and many information companies have been doing for a
long time, both in print and electronically - particularly in the area
of aggregation. Now, many of us - both information professionals and
information industry vendors - have to find new ideas and methods to
make our services valuable to users. Which by itself is not enough. We
must also make sure people know about our services rather than just
going to the web and bypassing us completely.

Which means information professionals need to adjust, learn new
skills, and develop new services to go along with those skills. That
doesn't mean we should be forgetting our 'classic skills'. It means we
should be adapting them to the times and circumstances in which we
find ourselves. On example - metadata creation and management (what
some might call 'cataloging 2010?) is more important now than ever.
And facilitating information literacy is an ongoing process.

Other new skills that come to mind are digital preservation, digital
curation, organization of digital content, and working with/for the
open access community.

Additionally, as more resources become available on the web (and that
includes via mobile/portable devices), there will be more and more
choices for consumers of information (including info pros who might be
buying this stuff) on what to select and use. And that brings a whole
host of issues front and center - assessing the credibility and
currency of the information, knowing how and where to find archived
content, determining the best ways to share information, being aware
of intellectual property issues, and knowing how and where to find
potentially useful related materials, regardless of format (digital,
print, audio, video).

A well-trained information professional can provide all of the above
skills (and MANY more). And we know this. We also know that the real
challenge is teaching users and POTENTIAL users that research is more
than just tossing two or three words into a search box.

Other increasingly important issues? Personal archiving. Keeping a
copy for yourself. Why? Well, for example, if someone remembers a
tweet from three weeks ago, unless he or she personally archived it,
it might be a challenge to find it again. The web is, essentially,
ephemeral. Which points up the value of 'traditional' or 'legacy'
services. They have indices that go way back in time - more than a
century in some cases.

Mobile or wireless access to information is becoming increasingly
important. We know that many libraries and information vendors are
offering mobile sites or apps these days, and we do our best to share
some of them here on ResourceShelf. Relatively speaking, however,
these are just the 'early days' of the 'mobile age' - which means info
pros have a chance to be on the cutting edge here. Ideally for us,
mobile users will come to realize that their local information
professionals can help solve information access problems and/or save
them precious time in locating what they need.

This web site, ResourceShelf, and our sister site, DocuTicker, are two
examples of sites run by info pros who filter, collect and share a
sizable (but still relatively small) amount of content each day.
ResourceShelf is just now entering its eighth year of existence. And
not a day goes by that we are not grateful for all of your suggestions
and support.

From Shirl:

I could simply type "What Gary said," and it would articulate my
feelings pretty well. Both Gary and I have, as information
professionals, been on the Internet since well before it hit the
mainstream. So we have the advantage of perspective - of
gradually integrating information technology into the way we've done
our jobs.

15 years ago, I was just beginning to teach people about e-mail...and
telnet...and gopher...and ftp. Then I taught HTML and website design...
and on to blogging and RSS. These days, I'm teaching social media -
Facebook and LinkedIn and Twitter - mostly to non-librarians. Even
with all the mainstream hoopla over these services, I still see a lot
of resistance. Many people still regard them as frivolous or fear them
as a monumental time-suck. And, of course, if not used judiciously and
strategically, that is exactly what they can be.

When people ask me, 'Why do I want to be on Facebook?' or 'Why do I
want to be on Twitter?', I give them what I think are the two main
reasons:

1. There's a conversation going on 'out there.' Continuously. You can
either choose to be part of it or let it pass you by. If you're a
business person, chances are pretty good that somebody somewhere is
discussing your industry - or your specific company - in the social
media space. Right now. This very minute. What are you missing? More
importantly, what could you be adding?

2. Information overload is a chronic condition suffered by all of us.
As individuals, we can't possibly ingest and digest everything we need
to feel well-informed - both in the general 'what's going on in the
world' sense and within our own communities, industries and/or
professional circles. But when we harness the brains of savvy
intermediaries, the odds are pretty good that we're not going to miss
something significant.

Which brings us full circle. We have - by definition, as information
professionals - a virtual mandate here to filter and aggregate.

The NYT 'Bits' blog post referenced at the top of this post contains a
statistic that just floored me:

    John Borthwick, chief executive of Betaworks and Bit.ly, the URL-
    shortening service, said each month more people were clicking on
    shortened links from social networks and e-mail. Last week, Mr.
    Borthwick said bit.ly processed 599,100,000 clicks, its highest
    number since starting in July 2008.

bit.ly processed 599,000,000 clicks - IN ONE WEEK. That, my friends,
is A HECK of a lot of information sharing. Especially since bit.ly is
only one of many URL shortening services.

Full post online with live links: http://digbig.com/5bayts

  Pennsylvania, School Libraries Also Use Services -
  <http://digbig.com/5bayqx>

* Now on CLA Web Site: Canadian Guidelines on Library and Information
  Services for Older Adults - <http://digbig.com/5bayqy>

* The Most Amazing [and Beautiful] Libraries In The World -
  <http://digbig.com/5bayra>

* Numbers Galore: The Internet 2009, A Collection of Stats You'll
  Likely Keep All Year - <http://digbig.com/5bayrb>

* Online Database: The Librarian's Yellow Pages -
  <http://digbig.com/5bayrc>

* Real-Time Search: 5 Alternatives to Google, Bing -
  <http://digbig.com/5bayrd>

Have you visited the ResourceShelf site this week? Remember that this
newsletter contains just a minute sample of the content we continually
add to the site. If you don't stop by, you'll almost certainly miss
something of interest.

ResourceShelf and DocuTicker are FREE... thanks to our sponsors.

Current Sponsor: FreePint Research

Understanding the evolving world of information
<http://web.freepint.com/go/family/research/>

Do you have a message to share with 20,000 readers? Become a
ResourceShelf sponsor for exclusive positioning.
Contact Robin Neidorf, General Manager, at
<robin.neidorf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
or learn more and complete the request for proposal form at
<http://web.freepint.com/go/family/sponsor/>

and registered email address.

The opinions, advice, products and services offered herein are the
sole responsibility of the contributors. Whilst all reasonable care
has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the publication, the
publishers cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions.

This publication may be freely copied and/or distributed in its
entirety. However, individual sections MAY NOT be copied and/or
distributed without the prior written agreement of the publishers.

Write to William Hann, Managing Editor, ResourceShelf
<william.hann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> for more details. Product names used
in the ResourceShelf Newsletter are for identification purposes only,
and may be trademarks of their respective owners. Free Pint Limited
disclaims any and all rights in those marks. All rights reserved.

(c) Free Pint Limited 2010, part of the FreePint Family
   <http://web.freepint.com/go/family/>.

ResourceShelf and DocuTicker are published by Free Pint Limited,
registered in England and Wales. Registered Number: 3754418.
Registered Office: Delaport Coach House, Lamer Lane, Wheathampstead,
Herts, AL4 8RQ