[net-gold] More English Lessons Required for Refugees in UK

  • From: "David P. Dillard" <jwne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Temple University Net-Gold Archive <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple Gold Discussion Group <TEMPLE-GOLD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K12AdminLIFE <K12AdminLIFE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Platinum <net-platinum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Net-Gold @ Nabble" <ml-node+3172864-337556105@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K-12ADMINLIFE <K12ADMIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 04:43:07 -0500 (EST)

.

Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 06:31:25 -0800 (PST)
From: Sue Fraser <xcschild@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Net-Gold <Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Net-Gold] More English lessons required for refugees in UK

More English lessons required for refugees in UK

Refugees need access to English lessons for successful integration says Mayor

All refugees must have access to English lessons to help them successfully
integrate and access jobs in the capital according to a new
strategy for the Mayor of London. Boris Johnson recently launched 'London
Enriched' and announced that his new migration board will
prioritise lobbying for better ESOL (English for speakers of other languages)
provision across London.

Mayor Boris Johnson said: 'It is imperative that refugees learn English as soon
as possible to ease their integration into London life.
Without it, they face immense barriers to gaining employment and further
education, the necessary tools that will enable them to fully
function and contribute to society. I want to help direct more government support for
language provision in London and I’ve formed a
multi-agency migration board to prioritise this issue and identify resources to
boost provision.

'London is a great, teeming cosmopolis of talent and my ancestors benefited
from being able to come to this great city and I'm very
proud of that. We don’t want to become a society that is hostile to the talent
and energy people can offer. Refugees bring skills,
experience, knowledge and often an entrepreneurial spirit that can make a vital
contribution to London’s economy. But it must be a two
way street, built on positive engagement by both refugees and settled
communities for the benefit of all Londoners.'

<http://www.expatica.co.uk/news/community_focus/ More-English-lessons-required-for-refugess-in-UK.html>

or

<http://tinyurl.com/yfmlqds>

The entire article can be read at the above URL.

Sincerely,
Sue Fraser
xcschild@xxxxxxxxx

.