[USS Vanguard] That Cynan gets around, doesn't he....

  • From: Kieran Darkwater <kierandarkwater@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 23:48:25 +0100 (BST)

After his skirmish on the holiday deck with the beautiful Zena Quetan,
Cynan had worked up quite an appetite. He entered the mess hall and
spotted Kieran sitting on a table near a replicator.
"Kieran."

"Cynan."

The greeting passed, but Kieran remained poised, the balled up paper in
his hand, staring at the receptacle across the mess-hall.

"You busy?" Cynan asked, after a while, eliciting little more than a
slight shake of the head. "What're ya doin'?"

"Trying to decide," the scientist offered, after a moment, gesturing
with the paper ball, "if it is worth trying to get this in from here."

"Not that good a shot, huh?" Cynan jested.

"If predestination exists," he offered, letting the arm and ball fall
his lap, "what's the point in trying?"

Cynan stopped and turned to face him from where he stood by the
replicator.

"Excuse me?"

"Nevermind. It doesn't matter."

"No wait. It's not about where you are going, but how you get there.
The point in trying is to do it in the best way you can."

Kieran sighed and rephrased his question.

"We've just seen the multiverse condensed, and I'm trying it all ways.
If there is a reality for every decision we make - for every way we can
- then what is the point in trying!?"

"So that in this reality, the one that you ACTUALLY feel in, is the
best one - and not the worst."

"And damn the others? Aren't they just... it will all happen anyway. If
I throw, and hit, another me will miss somewhere else, and vice-versa.
A third me will decide not to throw at all, another will try to, but
spontaneously combust before he can, and all the possibilities will
happen anyway..." The silence grew for a few seconds, and Kieran stood
slowly. "Someone else can throw."

"Those other Kierans aren't you. Some of them will be bad people and do
terrible things. Do you want to be such a Kieran? The others shouldn't
concern you. They aren't even apart of this life. They are more what
ifs or a constant reminder of how you could be - for better or worse,
and in the former, something to strive for. If you don't want to try.
Then
what's the point of you being here. Everyone has a purpose. You just
need to find yours."

"A purpose? So you do believe in predestination after all... then why
choose? It's all going to happen anyway, one way or another."

"Yes. I believe. But like I said, it's not about where you are going,
but how you get there - and sure, there are a millions other us's that
are all trying to get there as well, taking each turn that we don't,
but isn't that part of it? To know this and still try and be the best
one
of the lot? Lifes a game Kieran. If you're not going to play, then
you've
already lost."

For a moment he considered responding, the words flashed across his
mind
almost instantly:

In a game one team can't win and lose at the same time...

But he didn't - Cynan obviously didn't see it like he did - all he had
to do was decide if that were right or wrong.

"Look, I'll see you in Event Horizon later, okay?"

"Sure."