[USS Vanguard] Re: Hell in a Handbasket Tour of the Galaxy...

  • From: "Kieran Darkwater" <kdarkwater@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 16:50:47 +0000

<Shuttle 'Hurricane'>

Kieran slung himself into the seat as the other three arranged some things
in the back, and clicked on the internal communications set as the shuttle
powered up.

"Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to the UFP Shuttle Handbasket bound for hell
at warp 5." He called up the automatic diagnostic programme to perform the
pre-flight checks, and began warming up the important systems, overcharging
the shield capacitors slightly. Long-term reduction in the operational
efficiency was low on his list of priorities right now.

"Please feel free to fasten any belts or strappings you may wish: this will
simply change the pattern you make as you impact on the bulkhead when the
inertial damping system fails."

The console before him chirruped its compliance, and he powered up the
engines, hearing the low, slow whine as he did so, and set the power system
back to ready, turning serious again.

"Ready to go, Lieutenant." he called through, beginning the lift-off
procedure.  The computer dutifully piped through the dull blare of the
warning klaxon in the bay as he turned.

"Computer, download all files in the A&A database on the Borg. Begin
recording message to be transmitted on my mark:

Mayday, Mayday. This is StarFleet Shuttle Hurricane, from the USS Vanguard.
We have been attacked by the Borg. Mayday, mayday, please render
assistance."

Sam finally came and sat in the seat next to him ready to take the craft
out, and gave him a quizzical look.

"The Captain said let everyone know what was happening here. If we convince
the Borg we were just sent for reinforcements, perhaps they will leave us
alone? Reinforcements are unlikely to concern them..."

The shuttled lifted away from the deck smoothly, following out into the void
of space close behind the others, and as Sam selected a course Kieran looked
back to their passengers.

"If either of you two 'superbeings' decide that this is all a little boring
and want to alter reality to change it, don't mind us. You just go
ahead...."

Lieutenant (jg) Kieran Darkwater
Archaeology and Anthropology Officer
USS Vanguard