[USS Vanguard] Dutch Courage

  • From: "Mel" <uniquemel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 19:22:53 +0100

OOC:
Sorry! ... Seem to keep saying that at the moment lol just when I think I'm
back with time to post something else seems to crop up!

Anyways *fingers crossed* I'm back now just played catch up on the posts I've
missed, Zena was promoted! wow! totally unexpected thank you for that Andy :-)

Lt. Commander Zena Quetan
Zena's Quarters
Following on from Andy's last post

Santos left silently after breaking his news to Zena and Jaav.

As the doors to her quarters closed behind him she leaned forward resting her
elbow on her knees, rubbed her head and sighed.

"Well I don't know about you but I could use a drink right about now!" She said
to Jaav as she pushed herself up from the couch and began to walk over to the
replicator

"Scotch on the rocks" she ordered

The replicator whirred and seconds later the glass appeared. She gripped it
firmly

"I thought you didn't..." Jaav began, but before he could finish his sentence
Zena necked the drink

"Like scotch" Jaav finished

Zena coughed a little and held a hand to her throat as if to try and ease the
burning sensation "I don't" she answered in a feeble half whisper, coughing
once more to get her voice back "but" she continued "Ehran always used to drink
scotch in situations such as this, used to help clear his head and calm him
down, thought I'd try it"

"And has it worked?" Jaav asked

"Well, the burning sensation in my throat and the nauseous feeling...definitely
took my mind off things for a second" Zena replied with a grin

She walked back over to the couch and sat back down next to Jaav

Jaav couldn't help but shake his head and give a small chuckle "So you think
things are really that bad you need to turn to the hard stuff?" he asked, the
conversation becoming a little more serious now.

"This is probably going to be one, if not the most important mission we've ever
had to face, I mean the Borg, we're going to willingly travel into Borg space
without any back up to attempt to sign a treaty all on the word of this
"Walker" I just...I just don't know."  Zena replied

"Well the Captain obviously has some faith in Walker to even consider
proceeding with this" Jaav said with his calm soothing voice

Zena nodded "And I have faith in Dominic, I just can't see all this going
smoothly or without blood being spilt there's always a high price to pay,
especially when it comes to treaties, there's always someone that disapproves.
And the unnerving part is, this time it could be Starfleet."

"And are you prepared to face the consequences if it is? Can you do what Santos
has asked of you?" Jaav asked inquisitively

Zena paused momentarily considering her answer "For this ship? and for this
crew? Yes"

Jaav smiled and pulled her close to him kissing her forehead "Well I'm going
back to bed for a few hours, you coming?"

Zena ran her fingers through his soft dark hair and smiled "I'd love to but I
doubt I'll be able to sleep, too much going on up here" she said tapping her
head gently

Jaav nodded "Would you like to talk some more? I can stay up with you if you
like?" he asked trying to hold back a yawn

Zena kissed his nose "Counsellor... go get some sleep, one of us should at
least look bright eyed and bushy tailed for the meeting, if we both go looking
like we've been dragged through an Andorian privet hedge backwards, well,
rumours will start to fly"

Jaav laughed before responding with "Yes ma'am" he then stood up and headed off
to the bedroom

Zena remained sat on the couch for a few minutes longer, then rose and walked
over to the dinner table where she had left a white loose fitting vest and
trouser set, she changed quickly, tidied her hair up and headed out for a walk.

She arrived back at her quarters a couple of hours later and showered to
freshen herself up for the meeting, she put on her clean, crisp uniform and
stood in front of the mirror, she ran her finger across her pips, the new one
felt out of place.

Jaav and Zena arrived at the meeting together. Santos explained Darkwater,
McCaw and Mandrake's mission which was new information to her then went on to
inform the rest of the staff about what they had discussed only a few hours ago.

Everyone was being given a chance to leave by 1100 hours.

After the meeting had ended Zena did as instructed and briefed her staff, but
as she suspected, no one had opted to leave, instead they began to make
preparations for what was to come...what ever that might be....

---