[USS Vanguard] Crux

  • From: jonathon.bremmer@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 13:53:13 GMT+01:00

Lt Cmdr Jaav E'thexx
Ship's Counselor
USS Vanguard

<snip>
"This ship, Jaav", he said stepping a bit closer and looking Jaav
right in the eye, almost psychotically. "It's me!".

"What do you MEAN!?"

"It's ME!"

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN!"

"I BUILT THE DAMN THING FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!"

"Oh. I see.", Jaav said blinking.

".. at least, part of it."

"Cy..."

Just then a spanner clunked to the floor. They both looked round
over the rails to see a young lieutenant run out the doors.

"Ah sh.."

"Don't worry, Cynan. I will go after her. I will sort it out. Stay
here. I'll be back."

<snip>

Jaav charged out of the engineering side door and onto the main external
corridor, he galnced left, nothing, then glanced to his right, spotting the
young officer.  He walked briskly upto her, moving with urgency but doing his
best not to startle her.

"Lieutennant!", he called after her,  she stopped and turned around.  She
looked vaguely familiar, no doubt coming aboard around the same time the new
Captain had, Jaav had not yet had time to review her psychological profile.  "I
don't believe we've spoken before."

"No sir," the officer replied in a quiet, meek voice.

"I'm Counselor Jaav E'thexx," Jaav began attempting to diffuse the
not-so-subtle aire of tension which hung like static around the situation.
"What's your name?"

"Lieutennant J.G. Vell Delor, I've just transferred aboard."

"You work in engineering?" Jaav was trying to 'feel' the officer out, trying to
find out as much about her as he could before comitting himself to any
particualr course of action.

"No Sir, I work in the Holographic Systems support division, I'm seconded to
engineering."

"I see," In the second before he continued his sentence, Jaav reluctantly made
his decision, which came down to one simple question... 'Mandrake or Ellis?'
Jaav could either play this situation with loyalty to one, but not to both.  He
felt sorely unsettle as he resigned himself to a patient focused obligation.

"Lieutennant Devor, what you just witnessed was the result of a confidential
counselling session.  As the ship's Counselor I am obligated to protect patient
confidentiality at all costs, therefor I am hereby ordering you to abstain from
any inclusion of these recent events in any personal or vocational log.  You
will make no mention in any report, nor discuss with other officers in either a
social or work-related context.  Understood?"

The young officer blinked for a moment or two, the formality of the situation
having caught her off-guard.
"Yes, Sir, Perfectly Sir." She affirmed, before standing there for a whie
longer.

"Dismissed." Jaav clipped abruptly.  Vell Delor swiftly made her way down the
corridor.  Once she was out of sight, Jaav slumped against the bulk-head and
exhaled.

Technically he had grounds to follow the course of actions that he just did.
Covering up what Cynan had just confessed was NOT within the spirit of his
earlier discussion with Ellis.  The new Captain would want to know of this,
Jaav had to decide, was this a temporary choice, to give him more time and make
a full, careful report to the Captain?  Or was it the start of a what could
essentially be termed a lie by omission?

Jaav made his way back to engineering, back to cynan, trying in his mind to
make slight of the fact he'd just given a direct order for the first time in
his Starfleet career.

..Cynan was gone.  Jaav knew him well enough to realise he would make his
location known when he wsa ready to talk again.

END

You have been reading...

Jonathon P T Bremmer

Email: jonathon.bremmer@xxxxxxxxxx
Academic/University Email : j.p.bremmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
MSN Messenger: jptb@xxxxxxxx
Web: www.geocities.com/pie_uni

talk21 your FREE portable and private address on the net at
http://www.talk21.com