[USS Vanguard] After the windmill...

  • From: Kieran Darkwater <kierandarkwater@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:55:29 +0100 (BST)

 Galinia 4
Time: After '...You just pray it doesn't go over you.'
The first of the incoming troops kicked his way through the remains of the 
shrapnel-shredded doorway, eyeing the pair of Starfleet officers as he 
advanced. Cynan lifted his blade to shoulder height, taking a guard stance, but 
Kieran finally gave up with the crude, clumsy captured weapon he had.


?Here.? He tossed it, underarm, to the attacking figure, who paused to snatch 
it from the air by the handle, at which point Kieran?s open palm snapped out 
into his chest, cracking the adjoining cartilage between the two breastbones. 
The next overhand strike came in, and he slipped underneath it, taking the 
impact on his shoulder at his assailants elbow, listening to the joint snap 
under the pressure, and used the body as a shield as he lashed a foot around to 
the third in line, buckling the knee backwards. Three down, no fatalities, and 
he turned to see Cynan?s blade flash redly through the final flourish as the 
rest of the squad fell.


?Only six?? he asked, and Cynan just shrugged.


?There?ll be more, somewhere.? Kieran almost looked a second time to see if 
that was an expression of warning or longing. Either way, they still had a job 
to do, and he quickly passed the weapons of the fallen soldiers out amongst the 
refugees. Some of them grabbed them eagerly, some with expressions of regret ? 
one woman clustered her children about her skirts as she swished the blade back 
and forth, a look of absolute concentration on her face.


?Come on,? Kieran called, ?let?s get moving.?


The painfully slow progress through the rubble and wreckage was draining in 
every sense of the word ? nerves were fraught, and the occasional landslide as 
debris collapsed even further was unsettling. After two hours, though, and 
without seeing sight of anyone seeking to stop them, the transporter station 
was in sight, and the StarFleet pair paused to survey the terrain.

?You?re thinking ?ambush? too, aren?t you?? Kieran whispered quietly, without 
needing to look to know the answer.

Want to chat instantly with your online friends? Get the FREE Yahoo!Messenger

USS Vanguard: http://ncv80221.netfirms.com/default.htm
Vanguard Archives: http://www.freelists.org/archives/ncv80221
Gamma Fleet: http://gammafleet.trekplayer.com/
FreeLists: http://www.freelists.org

Other related posts:

  • » [USS Vanguard] After the windmill...