[ncsc-moths] winter moth

  • From: "Mathis" <weer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Moth List" <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 21:15:23 -0500

Are there active moths in winter? YES!

Sunday I was the driver for a team of the Mt. Rogers Christmas Bird Count. Keep
in mind that there was snow on the ground in that area of southwest Virginia,
and the temperature was about 17 degrees. It was on Hwy. 58, and I was pulling
off the road at the instructions of my team mate. As I pulled off the highway,
a somewhat large moth flew in front of my truck. I was very surprised
considering the snow, but I didn’t want my team mate to think I was completely
loony. So, I decided to keep the observation to myself. Then, my team mate
suddenly said that he had seen a moth flying.

We discussed this strange sighting and marveled that we both had seen it! It
was not a leaf blowing in the wind, and we were not hallucinating! The moth was
real and alive.

Cecelia Mathis