[ncsc-moths] everything you wanted to know about lights/sheets

  • From: Brian Bockhahn <birdranger248@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 10:01:53 -0500

Okay, summarizing posts again for moth night resources.  I am very excited I
just dug out a bug zapper from lost and found and looking forward to trying
to disalbe it!

Hows does this sound?  I've never used a paid for light trap so if anyone
would like to throw me a few comments on that I can add it.

LIGHT TRAPS/SHEETS

There has ben a lot of discussion on why moths are attracted to light.  The
consensus seems to hold that moths are not so much attracted to lights as
they are trapped by them.  The light becomes a sensory overload that
disorients the insects and sends them into a holding pattern.  In their
attempts to escape they end up circling again and again until coming to
rest.

Elaborate light traps can be purhcased from places like Bio Quip, but you
can also make your own traps using simple methods described below.

SHEETS

For ease of our viewing white sheets are used for a variety of insect
collection and trapping.  A cheap flat cotton sheet works well.  Hang it
veritcally over a clothesline or tied up to trees like a tarp, with weight
on the bottom to keep the sheet taught.  You can also lay a sheet on the
ground underneath your vertical sheet, or attach it flat to a table.

LAMPS/LIGHTS

Any type of single bulb lamps will work shined onto or in front of the white
sheet.  A spring-clamp light works perfectly to attach to a variety of
surfaces such as trees, stakes or other mounting arms.  A bug zapper with a
disabled electrifying grid can be hung from above.  For remote sites battery
powered flashlights or camping lanterns can be used, but for all night use a
larger battery setup is required.  You can take a page from history books
and use a candle or candle powered lanterns!

Although standard white bulbs do attract moths, preferable are black lights
or even better mercury vapor lights.  They emit a broader spectrum of light
which increases the amount of moths than can “receive” the light signals.

PLACEMENT AND OPERATION

Open areas such as field edges, yards or trails are the best spot to bring
in moths from a further distance.  You basically want to draw in moths from
as many angles as possible, and from different habitats.

Using a headlamp or other light source, check both sides of the sheet and
the ground for resting moths.  Most are easily observed, photographed or
collected.  A plastic jar or cassette case can be used for temporary
collection and viewing of the underside.

Moths will be present throughout the night and frequent checks will usually
produce different species.  Moth numbers peak just after dark until about
1am.  A check right at dusk can be worthwhile as most will be perched
somewhere for the day and easier to photograph.  After first light most
disperse or get eaten.  If you find that birds or other insects are learning
to “feed” off your sheets, you should shake your sheet clean when you are
done or after your first check in the morning.  If the problem persists move
the location of the sheet.
Moth activity varies a lot depending on various atmospheric
conditions.  Generally,
the best nights are on and around the New Moon (this is because your
artificial lights have less competition from moonlight).  Moths also seem to
prefer warm, windless, humid, and cloudy nights (some drizzle doesn't bother
them).  Temperatures generally need to be in the 40's or above

--
Brian Bockhahn
State Park Ranger