[ncsc-moths] Watauga County, NC Moths--1 September 2011

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 10:38:33 -0400

Fall season moths continue to arrive.  I had 3 FOY last night (all
macros!) including one, possibly two lifers:

8924 Anagrapha falcifera (Celery Looper)--LIFER
9485 Papaipema baptisiae/arctivorens--I struggled on this one; this group of
closely related species is tough and there are several undescribed species
lurking as well.  I'm leaning towards baptisiae based on the orange ground
color as opposed to more yellow/brown on arctivorens; pattern of spots in
reniform and claviform are very similar in both species.  I collected it and
hope to get a definitive id soon.  If baptisiae, this will be my 10 species
of Papaipema at Echo Valley
10524 Nephelodes minians (Bronzed Cutworm Moth)--FOY

--
J. Merrill Lynch
Echo Valley Farm