[ncsc-moths] Re: State Moth List

  • From: Hugh McGuinness <hdmcguinness@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 09:39:21 -0400

Hi Harry,

I wouldn't remove L disposita from your checklist just yet. While
Schweitzer may be correct about his hypothesis of two species, so far no
evidence has been presented. When he publishes his data, we will be able to
evaluate his supposition, but until then all phenotypes belong under the
name of L. disposita. When I talked with Dave Wagner, he says he does not
know of larval characters that distinguish the two, even though they may
exist. This is not a case of a generally recognized undescribed  species,
but the speculation of a single person, so until it is published, I would
recommend you maintain the name L disposita. You might want to mention the
phenotype observed in NC so that if this proposed taxon is ever elevated to
species level, future workers will be clear about the name that should be
applied to the NC material.

Hugh

--
Hugh McGuinness