[ncsc-moths] Rhyacionia sp. + Chimoptesis pennsylvaniana in Lee Co NC

  • From: "parker backstrom" <dpbackstrom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 20:21:18 -0500

Hi, folks.

I'm well behind the times with regard to the discussion about Rhyacionia as
I hadn't checked my e-mail for about five days.  But as Merrill mentioned
below I too found a moth of this genus this morning.  I've attached a photo
for your interest.  I certainly cannot add anything to the well-reasoned
discussion offered by Merrill.  As he alludes to below, my first inclination
was to call it duplana but understand that the genus does not lend itself to
photo-only examination.  That said, the photo of the attached to my eye fits
the photo of that species on Moth Photographers Group very well (someone
else-sorry, I've lost track who-also posted the shot an individual that fits
well duplana).  So, for the time being I'll let people make up their own
minds.  But with all these sightings perhaps we'll be able to figure it out
at some point.  I didn't think to collect it but will do so if I see
another.

For your additional interest I've also attached a couple of photos of a
lovely little tortricid that I've see the past couple of days, Chimoptesis
pennsylvaniana or Filigreed Moth (3273).

(Continued) Good mothing!

Parker

  _____