[ncsc-moths] Peterson Field Guide to Moths of Northeastern North America is now available

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: carolinaleps <carolinaleps@xxxxxxxx>, ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 16:35:34 -0400

I just received today my copy of the newly released Peterson series,
Field Guide to Moths of Northeastern North America, by David Beadle
and Seabrooke Leckie.  This guide illustrates almost 1,500 species of
moths--all illustrated by color photographs of living moths in natural
poses and arranged similarly to bird guides--one page of photographs
showing field marks marked with arrows opposite the corresponding page
of text, range maps, and flight periods.  About 5-7 species are
covered per page.  Although technically NC is south of the guide's
focus area of Virginia to southeastern Canada, a majority of the
species shown also occur in NC and everyone who lives here will find
the guide very useful.

I think this book is very well designed and is destined to become a
classic.  I also think it will be revolutionary in the same way that
Glassberg's Butterflies through Binoculars series was to butterfly
observation 13 years ago.  We finally have an excellent modern field
guide to moths that illustrates how the moths look in real life, not
as spread specimens.

I also want to point out that a number of photographs were contributed
by local lep enthusiast, Parker Backstrom, who is prominently
acknowledged by the book's author.  We should all thank Parker for his
help in making this guide a smashing success.  This guide will become
an indispensable aid for me as I continue learning about the moths of
NC and I hope it will generate a lot of interest, particularly with
the butterfly crowd.

Apparently the book will not be available in book stores (or through
Amazon) until April 17th but can be ordered online now through Barnes
and Noble.  Get a copy and start mothing!

--
J. Merrill Lynch
Echo Valley Farm