[ncsc-moths] Moth List

  • From: "Harry Wilson" <harrywilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 14:49:29 -0400

Fellow moth-ers,

Here at last is the list I have put together for North Carolina. I am certain
that it is not perfect, but at least it is reasonably accurate. I think there
are 2060 species included -- by now I don't know if I can do even simple math,
my eyes are so tired. I began with a list of the moths by Hodges number and
supplemented it with information from the Covell guide. I have checked through
the list using Bug Guide to find those whose range appears to include NC. I
have also checked the South Carolina list, and if a moth was reported from a
county bordering NC, I included it. I also included others that were only a
couple of counties away, figuring that they easily could find their way here.
Finally, I looked at the Dalton State (GA) site and added those that were
reported for NC. I am sure that the Great Smoky Mountains National Park list of
lepidoptera, which I do not have access to, would yield even others.

At last I can get back to identifying my photos! One beauty that visited last
night was The Hebrew. What a treat!

Harry Wilson
Zebulon, NC