[ncsc-moths] Baiting

  • From: Brian Bockhahn <birdranger248@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 16:11:34 -0500

I have summed and condensed what had ben posted or whats in print.

Hows this sound?  Am I missing anything I should include?  I am going to
experiment with all methods this year.

BAITING MOTHS

NATURAL ATTRACTANTS

Moths are naturally attracted to the scents of flowers and tree sap from
sapsucker wells, woodpecker holes and broken branches.  Large hardwoods also
have seep holes that attract hornets and brushfoot butterflies during the
day.  These areas can be located during the day and then re-visited at
night.  If one wanted they could drill their own holes in late winter and
spring when the sap is flowing.

SUGARING

For those who live where sugar maples occur, maple sap, either from taps or
from natural sources such as sapsucker wells, will attract moths in the late
winter/early spring months when the sap starts running.  Maple sap buckets
can be filled with pinions and sallows in February and March.

You can create your own “bait” by mixing various ingredients.  Brown or
white sugar usually makes up the largest percentage of the mix, with a
variety of other ingredients mixed or blended in.  The most vital step is to
allow the bait to ferment.  It can then be applied to a tree using a brush
in a one foot square patch about 4-5 feet off the ground.  The consistency
should be gelatanous; you don’t want the bait to drip to the ground which
would attract ants that detracts moths.

·         Brown or white sugar

·         Bananas, peaches or other fruit – over ripe

·         Molasses or maple syrup

·         Stale beer or wine

Another method is to take cotton cord (about the diameter of a pencil), cut
into 1-2 foot long sections, dip in your fermented wine or juice, and hang
on saplings and tree limbs along a path in the woods.  A sponge soaked in
fermented wine or juices/concoction and hung from a limb also works.  Basically
any concoction that includes sugar and rotten fruit that is in a
fermentation stage will work; alcohol is not necessary.

CHECKING YOUR BAIT

Bait should be applied just before dusk, the first few hours of darkness are
usually the most productive.  A red lens covering over your flashlight or
headlamp is preferred to not scare the moths away.  A headlamp works well
for detecting moths eyeshine at a distance, but is visible only to the one
wearing the light.  It is also helps to be quiet in your approach and voice.
It helps if you place your baits along a familiar trail or field edge you
are familiar with so you can safely follow and locate the baits.

Depending on weather, you will need to re-apply your concoction every couple
of nights or so.  During the summer months, several species of Catocalas
among others come to sugar bait but never to lights.

--
Brian Bockhahn
State Park Ranger