[ncsc-moths] Re: Baiting

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 16:54:45 -0500

Brian,

A good summary.  Here's my two cents worth:

1)  I know from my maple syrup tapping experience that moths are attracted
to sapsucker wells, at least those in sugar maple trees (and they love maple
sap--if I don't cover my buckets I can find literally dozens of pinions and
sallows floating in the buckets after a good sap run)

2)  the sugar bait doesn't have to ferment although that probably helps;
also, it doesn't require alcohol--moths will come to "straight" bait
attracted to just the sweet carbs

3)  if you paint trees that are within the reach of your floodlights the
moths acclimate to the light and are less likely to fly away when you walk
up;

4)  moths seems to prefer edges and baiting trees on the edge of a clearing
or along a woods road seems to work best

5)  experiment with different bait concoctions; I've read that certain
species seem to be attracted to different fruits for example

As a side note, I've also wondered about pheromone traps for day flying
Sessidae (clear winged or wasp mimic moths).  These are some of the most
bizarre and cool moths that we have but almost all are day fliers and are
not attracted to lights or sugar bait.  In jolly old England, where mothing
is on a much higher and sophisticated plane, there are companies that sell
pheromone lures to mothers interested in attracting these species.  I'm
wondering if some of these lures might be available from pest companies in
the US for gardeners trying to get rid of moths such as the *squash* vine *
borer* (Melittia cucurbitae).

Merrill

--
J. Merrill Lynch