[ncpm] Business Proposal for former NCPM released

  • From: "Bill Best" <billbest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 15:06:22 +0000

The new business proposal for the NCPM has been released here:

http://www.scedu.org.uk/newnews.htm

And The Star reports it today on Page Two:

New life plans for pop centre

Cafe bar, conference rooms and cinema in revival bid
by Ben Lowndes

Sheffield's National Centre for Pop Music Music could be rebranded the
'Matrix' and given a new lease of life under a plan unveiled today.

A blueprint drawn up by Sheffield Community Enterprise Development Unit
(SCEDU) was today sent to the venue's owner, Yorkshire Forward, outlining
proposals for the centre to be renamed and used for creative businesses,
conferences, bars and live performances.

Firms based in Sheffield's Cultural Industries Quarter (CIQ), who want to
reopen the building in two months, enlisted SCEDU to draw up the strategy.

Talks are already taking place with potential investors to see if the £1.8
million needed to acquire the building from Yorkshire Forward can be
secured.

And the group behind the proposals believes it can make a profit from the
massively-expensive venue.

The centre has been mothballed for nearly six months, but still costs around
£400,000 a year to run, former board members have revealed.

The proposals were drawn up to rival a separate bid from Sheffield Hallam
University, who want to turn it into a student union building.

Proposals include:

- A 'hyperspace' cafe bar with a new media theme, looking out on to
Paternoster Row.
- An events centre with a ground floor exhibition foyer, two conference
rooms, smaller meeting centres, a boardroom and broadband internet
facilities.
- A one-stop business advice centre for high-tech firms to join the C1Q.
- A digital cinema.
- An 'interzone' new media area.
- An FM and internet radio station.

Matrix backers say they will turn a profit of more than £56,000 after year
one, based on figures supplied by the nearby Showroom.

Phil Proctor, of the company Who Are You Film Productions, in Brown Street,
said "We wanted to prove to Yorkshire Forward we could put together serious
proposals, even though we only had 14 weeks to do it

When we started this we were nowhere.  Now we believe we can provide a
radical alternative to what has already been proposed - and one that works."

The Matrix plans were today circulated to South Yorkshire MPs, Sheffield
Council leader Jan Wilson and members of the city authority's planning and
performance management scrutiny board.