[ncpm] Nice work: Tonight's Meeting & Star article

  • From: andy <anything@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 11:20:17 +0000

outstanding good article

>Just a quick reminder in case anybody's forgotten that there's an Open
>Meeting tonight at 6-7pm in The Workstation mezzanine.
>Furthermore, the following article has appeared in today's Star newspaper
>(Page 4):
>Pop centre fight rages on internet
>Spoof websites attack proposals
>A war of words has been unleashed in cyberspace over development agency
>Yorkshire Forward's stewardship of the National Centre for Pop Music.
>At least two spoof websites criticising proposals to hand the centre to
>Sheffield Hallam  University have appeared on the Internet, enraging
>Yorkshire Forward bosses.
>Websites dubbed Yorkshire Backward and YF-Sucks brand the organisation
>secretive and bland.
>They have appeared under different addresses, carrying updated criticisms of
>the agency.  It is not thought the sites were created by anyone involved in
>producing an alternative blueprint for the NCPM for the pressure group Pride
>In Sheffield.
>But the sites echo the group's campaign and even include a story about a
>mouse called Pride which outsmarts a rampaging fat cat from Leeds.
>Supporters claim they are satirical and called Yorkshire Forward's moves to
>ban them a block on freedom of speech.
>Pride In Sheffield's Gareth Roberts said: "We fully support creative
>activity in Sheffield.  It's this type of thing that makes the city tick."
>A Yorkshire Forward spokesman said: "We were made aware of the websites.
>And we have taken moves to protect the integrity of our own websites.  We
>were told about the Yorkshire Backward site and the YF Sucks site and were
>not aware they were back up and running."
>Pride In Sheffield's business plan was handed to Yorkshire Forward this
>A decision on the future of the centre is expected next month.

Andy Stamp
The Culture Company
The Workstation
15 Paternoster Row
S1 2BX

Andy's landline: 0114 - 225 - 4616.
Andy's mobile: 07816 - 000 - 891.
Fax: 0114 - 225 - 4606.
Nigel's landline: 0114 - 225 - 4644.
Katz's landline: 0114 - 221 - 3057.

This year's Shooting Live Artists Commissions are:

Pleasant Land by Third Angel.

Suffragettes invented Performance Art by Leslie Hill and Helen Paris

Skin / Strip Online by Completely Naked and Further field.

TRANSFORMER by Daniel Gosling.

File under Sacred Music by Iain Forsyth & Jane Pollard.

iROOM by Ronald Fraser- Munroe.

To view last year's The Shooting Live Artists 01/2 online media arts works
please go to:

For this year's b.playful programme  28/29.11. 02. please go to:

For information about The Culture Company, current and future projects
please go to: