[ncolug] Re: serial converters

  • From: Larry D <aptget@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 18:44:27 -0400

Yes, and to be fair, they later (in response to the public outrage) changed their mind and updated the update so that they became un-bricked, as long as you were still in the game at that point...

On 10/26/2014 11:56 AM, Mike wrote:
On 10/26/2014 07:03 AM, Larry DiGioia wrote:
Here <http://www.zdnet.com/ftdi-admits-to-bricking-innocent-users-chips-in-silent-update-7000035019/> is another strange-but-true story of why those pesky serial-to-USB converters don't always work...

Interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if I had some fake ones in use. The nagging question for me would be how to tell if it's real or a clone. Surely a whole lot of the stuff on ebay, dx, and similar sites is made with cloned chips. The prices are just too low in most cases. The only comfort I get is that it only affects Windows...

Mike

--
"On Planet D, everything is black and white.

 If you get far enough away, it just looks grey."

                                       Dev