[ncolug] Re: SSDs have a 'bleak' future, researchers say

  • From: Larry DiGioia <larry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 22:51:00 -0500

1TB SSDs are presently going for $4000+

On 02/17/2012 06:30 PM, Kory Pounds wrote:
Mike K:

So if an SSD drive is advertised as 1 Terabyte in size, what would you
think the actual size would be to compensate for this?

Kory P.

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 12:50 PM, M. Knisely<charon79m@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
It should also be noted that these drives have internal control systems that
take care of wear leveling the cells and are much larger than advertised
capacity so when sections wear out they can be marked as bad without
impacting the drives presented capacity.

Mike

On Feb 17, 2012 12:16 PM, "Jim Willeke"<jim@xxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
I have several people using MacBook Airs that are over a year old with no
issues.

On Friday, February 17, 2012, DiGioia, Larry<larry.digioia@xxxxxx>  wrote:
I won't dispute what Mike says    : )