[ncolug] Re: SSDs have a 'bleak' future, researchers say

  • From: "DiGioia, Larry" <larry.digioia@xxxxxx>
  • To: "ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 13:59:11 +0000

I have been using an SSD on my main linux machine for 3 years now. I have them
in other desktops and laptops as well, never had an issue, as long as I follow
certain guidelines when building the machine -

1.) make sure the controller (chipset) is up to it
2.) update the firmware
3.) make sure the machine is set to use AHCI - see
http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Why-do-i-need-AHCI-with-a-SSD-Drive-Guide-Here-Crucial-AHCI-vs/td-p/57078

My opinion is that I will scrap the computer before I reach end-of-life on
writes. I wouldn't put one in a server yet though.