[ncolug] Re: Meeting topic

  • From: larry <larry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 19:59:31 -0400

I would enjoy the LVM stuff.

I also have a pile of stuff for sale, I figured you all got tired of hearing it. Among them:
Viewsonic PT-813 21" monitor
one whole AMD 2400/1GB computer with fixed and removable SCSI drives
set of four removable IDE trays and base
an Intel SATA RAID controller
a Linksys PCI 802.11 card

Also tons of audio equipment, write me privately to tell me what you need. Oh, and a 60" projection TV.

Chuck Stickelman wrote:
If David is not ready to do a Ruby &/or Rails presentation, I might be willing and ale to do a Linux LVM/RAID presentation.
I'm currently implementing a very small (physically-wise, and storage-wise) array and can bring it into the next meeting...

I also am still fighting with the Broadcom 802.11g card in my laptop... This could be a nice project/presentation if anyone is interested in helping... (I have 2.6.17.3 installed with the needed (I think) drivers, but it is still not coming up... I have a new "G" router/WAP/Switch; once I get that setup tonight I'll see what outstanding issues I still have with the laptop...

(I should then have a used LinkSys 802.11b router/firewall/WAP/Switch w/ signal booster and 1 or 2 PCMCIA cards for sale...)

Chuck

larry wrote:

Was that an actual commitment to doing a demo next month? Just asking.

David Fierbaugh wrote:

While a demo of some things that you can do rapidly with Rails is cool, I've found that knowing some Ruby is Very important. I was thinking something like:

quick intro to Ruby
- a first ruby script
- ruby - the program (interpreter)
- irb - Ruby Shell/command line (interactive ruby)
- erb - embedded ruby
- RAILS - Ruby based web development system
- Where it goes from here.......

On Thursday 13 July 2006 14:49, Chuck Stickelman wrote:

Ok, that's the sort of stuff I want/need to hear.
Let's have someone (you?) do a presentation on Ruby/Rails. While I'm an
admitted skeptic, I'm not close-minded.

Chuck

And future deeds crowded round us As the countless stars in the night.

                                Goethe (1749-1832)