[ncolug] Re: Mark Shuttleworth on Ubuntu Long Term Support

  • From: mike <mikeb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 22:45:45 -0400

<Chuck>
> BTW, I'm a Libertarian - I have equal disdain for both the Democrats and
> the Republicans...
</Chuck>

Now this doesn't belong here!  The distro stuff is a great topic here
IMHO.  Leave the political baggage elsewhere please.

<Mike K>
> >Could they have changed the extention for their packages?
> >Absolutely.  Should they have, probably.  Why didn't they?  Because
> >most stuff works.
> >Maybe this could be a topic.  Lets tear apart a "problem" package and
> >look at why the two are not interchangeable.

</Mike K>

<Chuck>
> That's a great idea!
> What are two packages that differ?

</Chuck>

Mike K. already stated the biggest diff between the two.  File locations
and versions.  I got a bit delete happy and axed that portion I believe.

If specifics on how Ubuntu has changed locations is available I've
missed it or not looked hard enough.  One thing I do notice is that
for many of the packages they are using newer libs are typically
required.  It appears to me that they have extensivly numbered the
library packages so that proper dependancies can be meet by packages.

Currently I'm using Kubuntu on this laptop.  Debian is/was still there
also.  The yaboot config got hosed by Kubuntu install and I've been
to lazy to fix it.  The only reason I really wanted the Ubuntu based
install was for OOo version 2.  Neither really works better than the
other, and both installs were about as dry as installs are.  Bear in
mind that this isn't an Intel box either.  That has caused me more
greif with both than anything.  The Kubuntu install will sleep but it
isn't right.  Have to jump through some hoops before putting it to
sleep or it locks up tight as a drum.  Searched and have yet to find a
solution that fixes it.  Maybe the newest release deals with it...

Now that I've gone way off track, does anyone know if Ubuntu conforms to
LSB?

Mike

Subject field.