[ncolug] Interesting tool...

  • From: "M. Knisely" <charon79m@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 01:30:08 -0400

For those of you running a recent Ubuntu system or have a Debian based
distro, check out the libnotify-bin package.

@ the command line:

sudo apt-get install libnotify-bin

Once it's installed try doing this:

notify-send -i "/usr/share/icons/Human/48x48/actions/back.png", "Screen
Orientation" "Left"

If you didn't guess, I'm working on getting rotation working properly on my
tablet... but just think of the fun you could have with this little app.

For those who can't play with the above fun, come to the November NCOLUG
meeting at NCState College room 136 in the Fallerius (sp?) building Thursday
November 5th at 6:30.  I'm plannin on having identical laptops, one to
install Ubuntu 9.10 and one for some Windows 7 OS.

We'll do fresh installs and compare the ease of install and functionality of
the devices in an out-of-the-box experience.

Mike K.