[ncolug] Re: Hidden 16-port KVM switch

  • From: mike <mikebell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 18:12:30 -0500

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 10:47:44AM -0500, Chuck Stickelman wrote:
> Mr. Knisely wrote:
> >Henry Keultjes wrote:
> >
> >>http://www.enterprisenetworksandservers.com/newsflash/art.php?458
> >>
> >>Though this might interest some of you guys and gals.
> >>
> >>Henry Keultjes
> >>Mansfield
> >I've not met a KVM that is OS specific or has OS specific issues.
> >Perhaps I'm showing my age, or lack there of, but that's been my
> >experince.
> >
> >Mike K.
> How would you build a KVM that is OS specific?  My keyboard has no idea
> what OS is running on the box.  Nor does my monitor or my mouse.  The
> protocols that describe how those pieces interact with the computer is
> well below the OS.  Hardware talking to hardware is not an OS issue...
>
> Chuck

Certification of something like this seems like a marketing gimick.

I can think of one situation where this could be OS specific though.
More specificallly it would be related to a serial terminal server.
Could happen with a KVM I suppose.  That would be with Sun.  Various
terminal (serial again) are notorious for sending "break" when they
establish or disconnect (sometimes both) the connection.  This is a
bad thing with Solaris.  Break is interpeted as "stop a", or "L1 a",
however you write it, this causes the OS to drop to the ok prompt.
Very likely not what one wants to happen.  Not that anyone here is
 really worried about whether a KVM is "break" safe or not.

My biggest heartache with KVMs it that there isn't one that has a
resonable cost that is cross platform.  Hardware wise that is.  I'd
really like to be able to use a Sun keyboard to drive my boxes here.
The costs I've seen certainly prohibt me from doing this at home.  Add
 in a Mac or two and it get ever more twisted.

Subject field.