[ncolug] Re: General Live CD Question

  • From: <cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 14:35:43 -0500

I have seen a BIOS setting where you had to enable legacy or PATA emulation
mode (or some such) for the CDROM drive to be bootable... Some HP desktop
systems came out w/ SATA CD-ROM drives before they had all the quirks worked
out.

I still would want to put the HDD under SpinRite's inspection...

Chuck

---- Ken Allen <kc8tdw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I had the same issue before, but what I had found on that machine was a bios
> going flaky.  Ok, so here is a question, did it boot to windoze every time?
> The computer that I worked with that had this issue would boot to windoze
> several time and then all of a sudden not boot 1 or 2 times.  So, I ran hdd
> diag test several times and found that the error could would change causing
> windoze not to boot.
>
> Now, as far as linux.  I could not get it to boot on this machine either,
> until a changed some settings in the bios and then I was able to boot.  I
> know that Dell's can be a real bear to change to the settings you need.
> What I figured out, is that SATA is set for 1st book devices.  The trick is,
> getting the cd-rom as the first boot device.  I know your thinking that I
> have the bios set as cd-rom, hdd sata, ect, but what I did find is that
> there is another setting in the bios that will actual set this as this.
> After several hours of searching, I found that if you don't change this
> setting the bios will look at both the sata and cd-rom, with sata being the
> primary.
>
> The setting in the bios is labeled as "Sata as primary" or something like
> that.  It took me a while to find it and not all systems are the same. So,
> once I found that setting, I changed the Sata default and then rebooted the
> computer right to linux with no issues after that.  The way I found this was
> pure luck anyway.  I was working on two exact machines, one work on was
> not.  So when I tested the linux disk, it booted to windoze anyway, even
> though the boot order was right.  So, I thought I has a bad linux disk and
> tested on another machine and it booted.
>
> So, find in the bios some along the lines that sata is primary and change
> that setting and it should boot, but why windoze and boot from the cd even
> with this setting, I have never figured out, but that is how I got around
> that issue.
>
> Ken

Subject field.