[ncolug] Re: FOSS personal finance program

  • From: tech4u <techconsultant4u@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 16:49:31 -0500

I have that on my Mac and it is decent also.

Cory

--
Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they
do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand. -- Putt's Law

The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to go beyond them into
the impossible. -- Arthur C. Clarke

On 2/16/16 4:07 PM, Mike wrote:

On 01/06/2016 10:51 AM, tech4u wrote:
Grisbi is a knock off of GnuCash and is for personal not business and has some preset account info setup already. It is a good substitute for Quicken (if you are on that route).

Cory
--
Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they
do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand. -- Putt's Law

The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to go beyond them into
the impossible. -- Arthur C. Clarke
On 1/6/16 9:17 AM, Chuck wrote:
On Wed, 2016-01-06 at 05:23 -0500, Henry Keultjes wrote:
On 01/05/2016 11:28 PM, Chuck wrote:
I tried doing the PFX thing and found it to take more time than manually entering the transactions - my bank didn't categorize the transactions properly so I had to revisit each transaction, which seemed to defeat the purpose.

Chuck

On Wed, 2016-01-06 at 03:17 +0000, Rob Gibson wrote:
I would suggest GnuCash. It can do double-entry accounting, investments, and it has a simple mode. You can also import your bank's PFX output, if offered, to enter your transactions automatically to then be categorized. Oh, and it's been packaged by nearly every distribution and has a Windows port, if anyone is forced (under duress) to use it there.

Rob

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 7:24 PM Mike <bellyacres@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 01/05/2016 03:43 PM, M. Knisely wrote:
> I uses Spouse 1.0.  Never plan on upgrading.
>
> Michael Knisely

Spouse 1.0 gets cranky sometimes when she deals with finances! Even if
she is better at it...

Mike

Chuck:

The key is a transaction document to start with. Like you need a purchase order to become a payables document but it becomes a liability first. How else would you balance the books? Similar example with payroll. The withholdings etc become a liability when the paycheck is entered,

Henry

This sounds like a solution that would only work for businesses. There is no need for a Purchase Order in GNUCash, and shouildn't be for a personal finance package. I'm not sure what a transaction document is, but I do balance our accounts monthly, so again, it feels like GNUCash is a more appropriate solution for what Mike was asking.

http://www.moneymanagerex.org/

Old topic I know. This is another one that I was looking at. Obviously still haven't finished this move. Right now it will be either GNUCash or this.

Mike