[ncolug] Re: Debian Linux gains carrier grade status

  • From: David Fierbaugh <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 13:13:04 -0400

On Tuesday 06 June 2006 11:40, Henry Keultjes wrote:
> Chuck and Dave have boh reinforced my favoring Debian.
>
> Thank you!

-- Right tool for the right job. --

If you want bleeding edge tech, and the latest versions of that one killer
app,  then Debian is probably not the right choice.

I don't have a single Debian install that I am currently working with. Most
are Gentoo, some are Suse, a few are Ubuntu/Kubuntu, and then there's a few
embedded distros. I do use Knoppix , including customized Knoppix CD's, so at
least there's Debian in that form.

I think the thing anyone should take away from the discussion (at least what
I've been trying to say) is not that Debian is better than Ubuntu, or
vice-versa; but that it's a matter of choosing the best distro for the
application you intend to use it for.

If you are more comfortable using Debian based distros, then use Debian for
servers and such, and Ubuntu/Kubuntu (etc) for desktops (if Debian doesn't
have everything you want but they do.)

If you are more comfortable with RPM based distros, then DITTO for RedHat/Cent
and the other RPM based distros.

There's also my favorite, Gentoo, which is probably closer to BSD ports than
RPM.

At this point in time (and probably forever after), limiting yourself to
choosing from only one distro for all purposes is a mistake. It's fine to
favor one over others because you are more comfortable with it, but by no
means should you exclude thinking about others.

For example, if there's a system that will primarily be running one
application, you might be best served by using the distro that developer
uses. Real-world scenario: there's a package for church's to project song
lyrics during their service. It's developer uses Suse. He releases for Suse,
and other people contribute builds for other distro's as they get to it. I
chose to install Suse on that machine so that one application can be kept up
to date easier, even though I would have preferred putting Gentoo on it.

If you only use Linux one one computer, or for one purpose, then some of this
is less important, in that case, pick the distro that has the features you
want right now, and that you feel comfortable using/learning. Stick with it
until you have a reason to change.

Subject field.