[ncolug] A different Ubuntu Question.

  • From: Aidan Artos MacTyre <wolfson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 18:03:36 -0500

As a Linux/Ubuntu novice, I've been noticing that almost every security update to Ubuntu is adding a new entry to my Grub Startup Menu for OS booting. Ubuntu 9.xx.xx.x, etc. over and over down through the versions then "Other OS" then the Windows XP that came with the machine and was setup for multi-boot with Ubuntu Linux. As of this point, the Windows XP and Dell Utility options are listed only after scrolling past the first screen of choices.

Where do I go to remove extraneous old version entries from the Grub boot loader menu? And are there any versions I should keep for recovery purposes after my initial install of Ubuntu Linux last June? Oh, and are there any other considerations, cleanup procedures that need to be dealt with to make this a clean efficient solution and avoid potential future issues that may result from removing any Ubuntu boot points from my system? Lastly, how should I approach removing no longer needed files related to older versions removed from the menu?

How's that sound for a tutorial request?

Jim.

Subject field.