[nasional_list] [ppiindia] [hardrockfm] MSNBC: Will Spongebob make you gay?

  • From: "Carla Annamarie" <Carla.Annamarie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ppiindia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 08:30:52 +0700

** Mailing List Nasional Indonesia PPI India Forum **

----- Forwarded by Carla Annamarie/PRUIDN/IDN/Prudential on 02/02/2005
08:30 AM -----

                      Michael Wilson

                      <mtanzirw_backup@        To:
hardrockfm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      yahoo.com>               cc:

                                               Subject:  [hardrockfm] MSNBC:
Will Spongebob make you gay?
                      02/01/2005 06:12

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      hardrockfm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6852828/

Two conservative Christian groups are attacking the
cartoon character for allegedly being part of a
"pro-homosexual video"
TRANSCRIPT
Updated: 1:07 p.m. ET Jan. 21, 2005

First it was the spate of the SpongeBob rob jobs from
local Burger Kings. Now the little yellow guy who
lives in a pineapple under the sea is at the center of
a far grimmer controversy, again not of his own
making. Two conservative Christian groups attacking
the cartoon character for allegedly being part of, as
one of them put it, a "pro-homosexual video."

A man named Dr. James Dobson, founder of a
conservative Christian group called "Focus on the
Family" addressed members of Congress at a black tie
dinner in Washington celebrating the president's
election victory this week.  He advised the group that
SpongeBob had been included in a pro-homosexual video
which was to be mailed to thousands of elementary
schools to push a tolerance pledge by kids, including
tolerance of differences of what Dr. Dobson called
"sexual identity."  Dr. Dobson said most of the
favorite cartoons of America's kids were in on the
plot, Barney and Jimmy Neutron included.

There is a video. It was broadcast in 2002 and has
been revised for distribution to schools in March. It
does promote tolerance of diversity, but contains no
reference to sex, sexual lifestyle, sexual identity or
Paris Hilton.

The eight-page long teacher's guide that accompanies
that DVD makes three passing references to same-sex
parents. It contains generic advice about what
teachers should do if kids ask them about atypical
homes? like ones with adoptive parents, step-siblings,
or grandparents. Teachers are advised to remind kids
that everybody's family is different, but they're all
based on love.

Dr. Dobson's press spokesman says he's not sure
whether or not Dr.  Dobson has seen the SpongeBob
video, but he has been briefed on it. And an assistant
says the group stands by its claim, and says, "We see
the video as an insidious means by which the
organization is manipulating and potentially
brainwashing kids. It's a classic bait and switch."

Bait and switch, a fish reference for an underwater
cartoon.  Clever.

Though the revised "SpongeBob and Friends tape," which
is to be distributed to the schools, is not supposed
to be released until March, we've gotten a hold of the
advanced copy from the "We Are Family Foundation,"
which produced it. It is a foundation created by the
man who wrote the disco hit of 1979, "We Are Family."
Below is the whole thing, with the caveat that if the
folks from Focus on the Family are right, it could
make you, your children or maybe your furniture gay.
Or tolerant.

By the way, not only did I not see any sexual identity
in that, I didn't even see very much of SpongeBob
either. Although Winnie the Pooh wasn't wearing pants.

Mark Barondess, the lawyer for the "We Are Family
Foundation" told "The New York Times" that any critics
of the video "need medication."

We here found it hard to argue with him.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Music that listens to you.
LAUNCHcast. What's in your mix?
http://us.click.yahoo.com/8mKGzA/FARHAA/kkyPAA/CPMolB/TM

Give the gift of life to a sick child.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/lGEjbB/6WnJAA/E2hLAA/BRUplB/TM

Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. www.ppi-india.uni.cc
Mohon Perhatian:

3. Lihat arsip sebelumnya, www.ppi-india.da.ru;
4. Satu email perhari: ppiindia-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
5. No-email/web only: ppiindia-nomail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
6. kembali menerima email: ppiindia-normal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Website resmi http://www.ppi-india.uni.cc **