[nasional_list] [ppiindia] Women Cast Votes in EPCCI Poll

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 05:47:31 +0100

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Beasiswa dalam negeri dan luar negeri S1 S2 S3 dan post-doctoral
scholarship, kunjungi
http://informasi-beasiswa.blogspot.com
**http://www.arabnews.com/?page=1&section=0&article=78149&d=21&m=2&y=2006

Tuesday, 21, February, 2006 (22, Muharram, 1427

      Women Cast Votes in EPCCI Poll
      Saeed Haider & Huda Al-Shayeb, Arab News

            Women leave a polling station after casting their vote on Monday.
(AN photo by Imran Haider).

      DAMMAM, 21 February 2006 - Saudi businesswomen for the first time in the
history of Eastern Province stood yesterday in a queue to cast their franchise
to elect 12 members of the board of the Eastern Province Chamber of Commerce
and Industry.

      However, all the debate and discussions on women's participation in the
poll and extensive coverage by national and international media could not
generate much response from the businesswomen electorate. Only 42 women,
including the six women candidates, turned out to cast their votes out of a
total of 417 registered voters.

      Nasreen Al-Dossary, one of the four candidates who have formed an
alliance called Wataniya (Nationalists) called the turnout "big", but
off-the-record many candidates expressed their dismay "at the apathy of the
voters" that belied all their expectations.

      Businessmen also admitted that the response of businesswomen was very
discouraging. "Imagine just 10 percent of the voters came to cast their votes,"
said Abdullah Al-Qahtani, a leading businessman from the Eastern Province.

      But to Nadia Al-Dossary, an independent candidate, the turnout of the
supporters was more important than the polling percentage.

      "I can see hundreds of women in the hall, they may all not be voters, but
their presence is an expression of support to our endeavor," she told Arab News
by phone.

      Women sent SMS messages until the very last minute not only to
businesswomen but also to the wives and sisters of businessmen who were allowed
to vote.

      "Participating in this election is success for us," said Samia Al-Edrisi,
one of the women candidates. "Even if we don't win, we would have been able to
send our message. But I do expect that at least one of us will win a seat."

      All four businesswomen are sure that they will be able to succeed if they
have the chance to be in the administrative board in the chamber. Although they
decided to go in for the experience before the elections in Jeddah, the fact
that two women won in the elections there encouraged them more to go on.

      Amina Al-Jassem, one of the candidates, said she was optimistic that many
men were supporting the participation of women. "They realize that we want to
work hard," she said.

      Many of the pro-reformists have welcomed women's participation.

      "It is a very healthy beginning and ushers in a new era," said
Al-Qahtani.

      Most of the voters believe that women candidates have a very slim chance
of making it to the board but they agree that "the businesswomen have arrived
on the business front and that they will make their presence felt, whether they
win the poll or not."

      The polling to the chamber elections will continue until tomorrow to
elect 12 members to the board.

      Six members will be nominated by the Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
The counting is slated for Thursday.

Mohon Perhatian:

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi
4. Satu email perhari: ppiindia-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx