[nasional_list] [ppiindia] Suyanto vows to reform TNI

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 22:41:50 +0100

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Beasiswa dalam negeri dan luar negeri S1 S2 S3 dan post-doctoral
scholarship, kunjungi
http://informasi-beasiswa.blogspot.com
**http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailheadlines.asp?fileid=20060202.@01&irec=0

Suyanto vows to reform TNI

Muninggar Sri Saraswati ,The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

Air Marshal Djoko Suyanto said what many wanted to hear Wednesday, vowing
during his confirmation hearing to keep the military out of politics and press
ahead with internal reform if he becomes Indonesian Military (TNI) commander.

Yet his comment on maintaining the territorial structure of the Army in
guarding the nation -- which critics say has led to abuses of power and an
overreaching influence in the country -- are bound to provoke more debate about
his commitment to reforming the military.

During his fit-and-proper test hearing before House Commission I on security
and defense, Suyanto said the doctrine remained necessary because of the
country's vast geographic area and the military's capacity to maintain its
unity, detik.com reported.

Suyanto, who heads the Air Force, the smallest of the country's armed forces,
asserted that he was not trying to curry favor with the long-powerful Army.

"I consider the territorial command is still relevant based on objective
rationale. It's not that I want to win the Army's support," he said in response
to legislators' questions.

Under the territorial command, the Army maintains 11 regional military
commands, dozens of military resort commands, hundreds of district commands and
thousands of military subdistrict commands, as well as many noncommissioned
officers stationed at villages nationwide.

Suyanto said the territorial commands were "a means" to reach unspecified
goals, but the commands would only be used to support military operations.

In hearings that began at 9 a.m. and were scheduled to end at midnight, Suyanto
was serious in his responses as legislators bombarded him with questions, on
topic ranging from reform, military weaponry to human rights.

He earlier pledged that he would ensure the military stayed out of politics.

"Don't worry, there would never be a violation by bringing the TNI into
politics," he said.

He said conditions in the country were conducive to preventing the military
from dabbling in politics, including a number of laws on the military and
defense, as well as the watchdog role of non-governmental organizations, the
House and the public.

Although current laws allow military personnel to contest regional elections
once they declare themselves nonactive from service, Suyanto said he disagreed
with the exemption.

"You should revise the law, banning military personnel to run for regional
elections. Anyway, all of those who ran for regional elections lost," Suyanto
said, referring to elections last year.

He said he was still considering if soldiers should vote in the 2009 elections,
which has been proposed, saying that it may disrupt "military solidity".

"If the negative impacts are bigger than the positive impact, I would prefer to
postpone (implementing the right to vote)," Suyanto said, adding that it would
depend on the soldiers' "political maturity".

"We will hold discussions later to finalize our view on the President's nominee
for the replacement of Gen. Endriartono Sutarto as the TNI chief," Commission I
chief Theo Sambuaga said.

A total of 36 legislators asked questions of Suyanto, on topics ranging from
reform, weapons to human rights.

Suyanto briefly lost his cool when Effendy Simbolon of the Indonesia Democratic
Party of Struggle (PDI-P), which earlier stated its support of another
candidate, demanded he answer a question on choosing between handling
separatism or human rights.

"Do not force me to deploy our forces without a political decision," he
asserted.

During breaks in the session, most legislators, including Permadi of PDI-P --
chatted with him.

Most Houses faction leaders have said they will support Suyanto as the new TNI
chief.

In her final months as president, Megawati Soekarnoputri, who currently chairs
PDI-P, nominated former Army chief Gen. Ryamizard Ryacudu to replace
Endriartono Sutarto, who has been in the TNI top post for three and a half
years.

Mohon Perhatian:

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi
4. Satu email perhari: ppiindia-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx