[nasional_list] [ppiindia] Police killer in Maluku gets death penalty

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 10:37:23 +0100

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Beasiswa dalam negeri dan luar negeri S1 S2 S3 dan post-doctoral
scholarship, kunjungi
http://informasi-beasiswa.blogspot.com
**http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailnational.asp?fileid=20060214.D01&irec=0

Police killer in Maluku gets death penalty
M. Azis Tunny, The Jakarta Post, Ambon

The Ambon District Court on Monday sentenced a man to death for his involvement
in two terrorist attacks, including a 2005 assault on a police post that left
five officers and one civilian dead.

Presiding judge Kharlison Hariantja said Asep Djaja, alias Aji, was guilty of
involvement in an attack on Wamkana village, Namrole district, Buru regency, on
May 5, 2004, which killed three people; and an attack on a Mobile Brigade
police post in Loki, Piru district, West Seram regency, on May 16, 2005.

"The defendant's actions caused terror and widespread fear among the residents
of Wamkana and Loki, and Maluku people in general," Khalison said.

The court found Asep guilty of violating articles 6 and 14 of the 2003
Terrorism Law, and Article 55 of the Criminal Code.

Asep was the first of five defendants in Ambon being tried under the law on
terrorism to receive the death penalty. The four other defendants -- Idi Amin
Tabrani Pattimura, Fatur Datu Armen, Ismail Fahmi Yamsehu and Syamsul Bakhri --
are awaiting their verdicts.

Asep also was found guilty of the possession of firearms and ammunition, and of
planning and encouraging others to take part in terrorism.

After the verdict was announced, Asep declared he would appeal the decision,
which he described as a "conspiracy against him".

"There's an ideological conspiracy in the judge's verdict and I feel I am a
victim of the law," he said.

He questioned the decision to try him under the law on terrorism. "Why was I
charged under articles 6 and 14 of the 2003 law?" he asked.

He said he and his group were not terrorists.

"We're not terrorists, but mujahideen. Terrorists and mujahideen are different.
We have norms and regulations. What we're doing is merely responding to the
conflict in Maluku," he said.

In another trial at the same court Monday, Nazarudin Mochtar, alias Harun, was
sentenced to nine years in prison for assisting in the Loki attack.

"The defendant was not directly involved in the shootings at the Loki police
post, but he knew of the plan and those responsible," said presiding judge Jhon
Teleuw.

Mohon Perhatian:

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi
4. Satu email perhari: ppiindia-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx