[nasional_list] [ppiindia] Muslim rally organisers tell extremists to stay away

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 23:29:05 +0100

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Beasiswa dalam negeri dan luar negeri S1 S2 S3 dan post-doctoral
scholarship, kunjungi
http://informasi-beasiswa.blogspot.com
**http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/article344753.ece

Muslim rally organisers tell extremists to stay away
By Robert Verkaik, Legal Affairs Correspondent
Published: 11 February 2006

Thousands of Muslims will gather in central London today in a show of defiance
against Islamic extremists who last week called for the death of Westerners
after the publication of cartoons defiling the image of the Prophet Mohamed.

The rally is expected to be one of the biggest Muslim demonstrations to ever
take place in Britain. Organisers of the event have told Muslim agitators that
they will not be welcome and the Metropolitan Police have said they will arrest
anyone carrying banners intended to incite violence. Police are also prepared
to combat any threat from extreme right-wing groups, including the BNP, who may
want to try to hijack the event.

The Muslim Council of Britain, which is organising the event, has received a
handful of race-hate e-mails after the demonstrations last week in which
extremist Muslims waved offensive banners calling for the murder of those who
insult Islam.

The British National Party has published some of the cartoons on its website.
"British newspapers have united in their cowardice by refusing to carry the
cartoons which have caused a storm of protest and anger amongst the Muslim
world," read the accompanying statement.

Inayat Bunglawala, spoke-sman for the Muslim Council of Britain, said that no
form of extremism would be tolerated at the rally. "The reasons for the really
are two-fold. We want to allow peaceful expression of the hurt caused by the
publication of the cartoons but we also want to allow people to publicly
distance themselves from the extremists because for most of Britain this is the
only impression they have of Muslims in this country."

He condemned the extremists for their reaction after newspapers in Denmark,
Norway, France and Germany published the cartoons. "They are the mirror image
of the BNP and have done more harm to Muslims living in this country than that
caused by the BNP," he said.

But other representatives of moderate Muslim groups questioned the value of
holding a rally. Dr Ghayasuddin Siddiqui, leader of the Muslim Parliament,
said: "I think we have had enough protests and the time has come for Muslims to
rather than going on marches, no matter how important they are. We would be
better working towards ending social exclusion and marginalisation in our
societies. I won't be attending the rally."

Mr Bunglawala said: "I wish we didn't have to hold this rally but how else can
we distance ourselves from the extremists?"

The rally, which begins at 1pm, is being supported by 400 Muslim groups
affiliated to the Muslim Council of Britain. The publication of the cartoons
was debated during a comedy festival which began yesterday. Jokes about
religion and whether there are no-go areas for satirists will be discussed at
the Leicester Comedy Festival.

The festival's founder and director Geoff Rowe said: "It's really important
that when putting together the programme for the festival we consider issues
about what people can tell jokes about and what they can't."

Who's going on the march - and why?

NAZIR AHMED, 35, BARRISTER

"I'm going to the march and I'm a law-abiding and peaceful citizen. We have a
responsibility to show our anger and frustration in a peaceful way. The march
will give a clear message that ... in a democratic society everyone has freedom
of speech, but it is not unconditional. The Danish paper has hurt millions of
Muslims."

MUZIBUL ISLAM, 36, SOCIAL WORKER

"I will definitely be going. Not many people have a high awareness of the
Prophet Mohamed - and the image some people have is wrong. There have been
demonstrations recently that a lot of people in the community didn't agree
with. We need to tackle views like the Danish cartoons in a diplomatic manner."

MOHAMMED KROESSIN, 35, CHARITY WORKER

"I'm thinking about going on the march but I need to weigh up the pros and
cons. The main benefit is that there will probably be 50,000 Muslims in
Trafalgar Square. But one guy could hijack the event and create negative press,
and that's why I'm in two minds about going."

DEEQA HASSAN, 19, HEALTH STUDIES STUDENT

"I can't go to the march because I'm working, but I would love to. Personally I
don't think it will make much of an impact. A lot of my friends are going and
everyone is angry. I think the media should be more responsible. The Prophet
Mohamed is pure, and it's disgusting to draw him as he was in the cartoon.''

Mohon Perhatian:

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi
4. Satu email perhari: ppiindia-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
5. No-email/web only: ppiindia-nomail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx