[nasional_list] [ppiindia] It could be you - but don't hold your breath

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 00:10:26 +0100

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Beasiswa dalam negeri dan luar negeri S1 S2 S3 dan post-doctoral
scholarship, kunjungi
http://informasi-beasiswa.blogspot.com
**http://www.guardian.co.uk/lottery/story/0,,1701334,00.html#article_continue

EuroMillions lottery

It could be you - but don't hold your breath

Tickets are selling in record numbers after an 11th rollover took prize to
£125m

Patrick Barkham, Kim Willsher in Paris and Giles Tremlett in Madrid
Friday February 3, 2006
The Guardian

It could be you. Or it could be a consortium from Cork or Chantelle from
Celebrity Big Brother. The chance may be an irrationally minuscule one in 76m
but it is not stopping a stampede to the plastic terminals in newsagents across
western Europe as punters chase one of the world's biggest ever single lottery
payouts.
Sales of EuroMillions tickets have risen by 1,200% in Britain this week,
according to lottery operator Camelot, after the jackpot rose to an
unprecedented £125m when the prize money was rolled over for the 11th
consecutive week last Friday.

Ahead of the draw in Paris at 9.30 tonight, lottery fever moved in mysterious
ways. In France, 8.5m lottery tickets were sold for last week's record jackpot.
By last night, the quest to win ?183m had become the stuff of urban legend as
long lines formed outside tabacs and cafes selling lottery tickets. In
Switzerland ticket sellers reported that sales had already reached a record 24m
francs in the first few days this week. Lottery chiefs in Belgium also reported
record sales.

Launched two years ago, the EuroMillions draw is the largest lottery
competition in the world, open to residents in the UK, Austria, Belgium,
Ireland, Portugal, France, Luxembourg, Spain and Switzerland. Players must
match five main numbers from one to 50 plus two "lucky star" numbers from one
to nine to hit the jackpot, last won on November 11.

The previous biggest winner was Dolores McNamara, a grandmother from Co
Limerick, Ireland, who won £77m last July. The 11 successive rollovers is
forecast to happen only once every 25 years.

One British customer turned up to buy his £1.50 ticket sporting lucky pants
over his trousers. Another reached the front of the queue before she realised
she had forgotten her lucky rabbit paw and went home again before choosing her
numbers. Newsagents in London reported individuals spending up to £100 on
tickets.

In Paris, it was even more. "Did you hear about the woman in the 18th
arrondissement who bought ?1,800 worth of lottery tickets?" asked one woman in
a long queue. "No," said a fellow queuer. "She didn't win in any case," she
added, with barely disguised glee.

Regions already overstocked with millionaires were not immune to the lure of
£125m. Tesco stores in Kensington and Chelsea in west London sold more tickets
than those in any other postcode area. In Islington, north London, one store
was doubling its staff today to cope with queues after selling £4,000 worth of
tickets this week, eight times its normal sale.

The Celebrity Big Brother winner Chantelle Houghton was on hand yesterday to
pose with that timeless winner's fantasy: a Bentley and a big wodge of cash.
"I'll certainly be having a shot at the jackpot and my lucky numbers will
include 1 as I was the first person in the Celebrity Big Brother House, 6
because it's my dad's birthday and 50 because it's the amount of times I've
probably said 'Oh my God' this week," she said.

In Islington Wines, Sharon Baalawy followed a similar method to pick her magic
numbers. "I always go for birthdays, like my kids and my mum and dad and the
number of my door," she said. "What would I do if I won? Oh my God, I was
talking about that with my daughter. I'd give her some, and my son and mum and
dad some. Then I'd go and live abroad and travel the world."

In Britain, Camelot's corporate motto is serving the nation's dreams and many
ticket buyers were dreaming of escape. Marc, 25, bought 30 tickets for his
office syndicate, heartened by 83p each from the syndicate's £28 win last week.
"A lot of people in our job aren't enjoying it at the moment so this is a nice
distraction," he said. As Camelot is keen to point out, more than 3 million
Britons have shared over £42m in smaller amounts of prize money since the
jackpot began rolling over.

Peter Gardiner, another member of a hurriedly formed syndicate, was buying £24
worth of tickets in north London. His syndicate was drawn from commuters who
shared the same carriage on the train from Ely to King's Cross each day. What
will you do if you win? "I think we'll stop commuting," he said.

Spain, however, was proving resistant to Euro Millones fever despite being the
European country where lottery spending is highest. In Madrid yesterday, ticket
seller Carlos Jimenez said that sales had not gone up. "I put the sign up," he
said, pointing to a scruffy A4-sized advertisement announcing the prize taped
to the wall behind him. "But no one seems to have paid much attention to it."

If it is not you, and no one else in western Europe, the jackpot will roll over
for a final time next week. If there is still no jackpot winner on February 10,
it all ends in a sensible anti-climax with the prize-money split between the
winners of the next highest tier.

Mohon Perhatian:

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi
4. Satu email perhari: ppiindia-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx