[nasional_list] [ppiindia] Foreigners Live in Fear of Russian Skinheads

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 00:07:52 +0100

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Beasiswa dalam negeri dan luar negeri S1 S2 S3 dan post-doctoral
scholarship, kunjungi
http://informasi-beasiswa.blogspot.com
**http://www.arabnews.com/?page=9&section=0&article=77854&d=16&m=2&y=2006

            Wednesday, 15, February, 2006 (16, Muharram, 1427)

                  Foreigners Live in Fear of Russian Skinheads
                  Oliver Bullough, Reuters

                  MOSCOW, 15 February 2006 - Russia's small Cameroonian
community was shocked and saddened, but not surprised, when fellow citizen
Kanhem Leon was murdered by racists. They know the danger of violence is ever
present.

                  Simon Samba Samba, the Cameroon Embassy's second secretary,
says he always advises new arrivals not to walk around on their own and to
avoid places where skinheads hunt foreigners. "When people came here to study
in communist times, it was not like this. But now people are poor and drunk.
Maybe they are not happy and they attack our lads on the street," he said. A
series of random racist murders, like that of 28-year-old Leon late last year
and other foreign students in Moscow and elsewhere, have forced the issue into
the headlines.

                  Last month, a man shouting "Heil Hitler" wounded eight people
in a knife attack on a Moscow synagogue, and attacks on immigrants are so
common that they rarely make the press. President Vladimir Putin has responded
by calling racism an "infection" and ordered police to take steps to crush it.
But experts say its roots are deep in demoralized post-Soviet society and will
not be easy to pull out.

                  The skinheads, they say, are like a mixture of neo-Nazis and
soccer hooligans grafted onto the casual racism that the Soviet Union concealed
under its communist rhetoric.

                  "Our ideology is racism above all. We don't like Tajiks,
Armenians, Jews - we don't like anyone of a different race," said one
self-declared skinhead in an interview with Reuters. The man calls himself
Tesak (machete) - "because I like knives" - and wears big black boots and a
short, padded jacket.

                  "At the moment in Russia we're not very organized, there is
no single leader. We just have groups of five or 10 people who go out to kill
Armenians, Chinese, Tajiks," he said. His group Format 18 - the numbers one and
eight represent the initials of Adolf Hitler - posts videos of its attacks on
its Web site. One clip shows a group of young, muscular men in their uniform of
jeans and boots beating a Tajik trader in a market before it ends with the
slogan of "White Power".

                  Most Russians strongly disapprove of such assaults, but
opinion polls suggest passive racism is widespread.

                  Foreign visitors to Russia are often shocked by casual racist
language and behavior that has long been taboo in their own societies.

                  Late last year, polling firm Levada Center said 53 percent of
1,600 respondents supported the phrase "Russia for the Russians", while the
numbers supporting a limit on immigration were markedly higher than the year
before. Some political groups have flirted with racism, and the Rodina
(Motherland) party was barred from Moscow elections last year for a campaign
advertisement that said "let's clean the city of rubbish" over pictures of
immigrants from the Caucasus.

                  A demonstration organized by the Movement Against Illegal
Immigration (DPNI) in November saw around 5,000 marching under banners of
"Russia for the Russians" and "Russia, forwards".

                  Protests arranged by pro-Western liberals would be lucky to
attract a tenth of that number. "We have lived here for thousands of years, and
why should we share what is ours with people who have only just arrived," said
DPNI spokesman Alexander Belov.

                  "White migration has always brought progress, but you can not
call what is happening now progress - millions of immigrants from Tajikistan or
China who have never even held electric tools do not bring progress."

                  There are no precise figures for the level of immigration
into Russia. But millions of people from the impoverished ex-Soviet states have
moved here in search of work.

                  Tajiks, Uzbeks, Armenians and Azeris are often highly visible
since they work as taxi drivers or in markets.

                  Many young Africans and Asians come to study in Russian
universities, which offer a high-quality education relatively cheaply. Moscow
was a major center for students from the developing world during communist
years, when the Soviet Union used free education to win friends and influence.

                  Economists say immigration is necessary to offset the decline
in Russia's population, which is falling by around 750,000 a year, but experts
say there is no sign ethnic Russians are getting any happier about it.

                  Tesak's shaved head and clothes makes him look like an
extremist on society's fringe, but he is a qualified engineer and not as easily
sidelined as drunken soccer hooligans.

                  "Tesak is the future of the skinhead movement. He is clever
and confident, he doesn't take drugs or drink. You can only kill him, you can
never make him abandon his ideas," said Sergei Belikov, a lawyer who works with
skinheads and has written three books on the phenomenon. "This is becoming a
middle class movement ... It has become a national idea when nothing else is
left. Teachers have become market traders, doctors have become bums, but they
can all say at least they are white and European." Parliament promises new laws
that would, among other things, make Web sites like Tesak's illegal. But
Cameroon's Samba Samba said there was a lack of will to really crack down.

                  "We do not think the government is doing enough. If someone
is killed, the culprit must be found and convicted ... they have still not
found (Leon's) killers and this is sad. If they wanted to find them, they could
do it in two days," he said.

Mohon Perhatian:

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi
4. Satu email perhari: ppiindia-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx