[nasional_list] [ppiindia] Feminis: Pornografi Merendahkan Wanita

  • From: A Nizami <nizaminz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Indonesia Raya <indonesiaraya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, sabili <sabili@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ppiindia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Saksi <saksi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 21:15:14 -0800 (PST)

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Beasiswa dalam negeri dan luar negeri S1 S2 S3 dan post-doctoral
scholarship, kunjungi
http://informasi-beasiswa.blogspot.com **Berikut artikel seorang feminis dari
The George
Washington University tentang pornografi yang
berjudul: ?Pornography: The Epitome of Sexuality?

Di antara poin-poinnya adalah:
Pornografi merendahkan wanita baik langsung mau pun
tak langsung. Wanita yang difoto/difilmkan direndahkan
langsung, sementara wanita lainnya masih terkena
dampak perendahan seksual.
Wanita hanya dijadikan obyek seks untuk memuaskan
hasrat seksual kaum pria.
Pada akhirnya kaum pria merasa memiliki wanita.

Pornografi adalah teori, dab perkosaan adalah
prakteknya (di artikel lain disebut pornografi adalah
alat perangsang sekaligus pedoman bagi calon
pemerkosa).

Pornography allows men to impose their fantasies into
our realities.  Moreover, it gives men a way to
dissolve women of any human worth through acts of
violence, particularly rape.  ?Pornography is the
Theory, Rape is the Practice.? (Unknown).  Upon seeing
women as a dispensable object, existing for their
pleasure, men are misguided to believe that they can
take whatever they want from women, including sex.

The George Washington University

Pornography: The Epitome of Sexuality

As a feminist, I often try to choose my battles.  In
realizing that I do not possess the power to fight all
sources of female oppression, I have tried to pick the
few that impassion me the most, and have concentrated
the majority of my efforts on overcoming these.  But
sometimes, when you are not looking, a battle can pick
you.  This is what happened to me upon reading endless
feminist theory, and academic research, on the issue
of pornography.  After studying Catharine A. MacKinnon
and Andrea Dworkin?s feminist theories on the
relationship of pornography and sexuality, I decided
to assume my place at the pornography battle
forefront.  My effort to write a paper on pornography
as the epitome of sexuality in our society launches my
personal crusade.

            Pornography: the epitome of sexuality in
our society?  Could this possibly be true?
Pornography is vile.  Pornography objectifies,
humiliates, violates, and tortures women.  Pornography
glorifies male violence, dominance, and power.
Pornography rapes women of body by encouraging such
behavior from men.  Pornography rapes women of voice
by taking away a woman?s ability to say no, to be
heard, and listened to.  Pornography provides a glossy
image of women: beautiful, flawless, passive, and
submissive.  Pornography allows men to turn their
female fantasies into today?s realities.  Am I
suggesting that all of the lewdness that I have just
described could actually be the primary determinant of
sexuality?  Yes, I am.  Would I suggest that the
relationship of pornography and sexuality is a
feminist issue worthy of critical theoretical
analysis?  Yes, I would.  In fact, I do.

  Construction of Sexuality

Catharine MacKinnon and Andrea Dworkin are two
feminist theorists who pay homage to the construction
of sexuality at the hands of male power.  Both of
these theorists argue that pornography exemplifies
sexuality.  I will focus my analysis on the
theoretical underpinnings found in Feminism Unmodified
(Catharine A. MacKinnon 1987), Toward a Feminist
Theory of State (MacKinnon 1989), Letters From A War
Zone (Andrea Dworkin 1993), and Pornography: Men
Possessing Women (Dworkin 1981).  I will incorporate
the works of others in my analysis to provide for a
more significant critique of their feminist theory.

Catharine MacKinnon views sexuality as being deeply
embedded in the female experience.  She would argue
that female sexuality is constructed by male power,
thus the ability for men to be dominant and women to
be submissive.  In essence, men ?sexualize
inequality,? thereby creating sexuality.  Secondly,
MacKinnon views the power of men as the main
ingredient in gender hierarchy.  The male and female
differences presented in the gender hierarchy allow
for male dominance to exist in the realm of sexuality.
 MacKinnon sees these two dynamics as being actualized
by pornography.  ?Pornography makes inequality into
sex, which makes it enjoyable, and into gender, which
makes it seems natural? (MacKinnon 1987, p.3).

            Andrea Dworkin shares many of MacKinnon?s
theoretical views.  Dworkin agrees with MacKinnon that
pornography represents sexuality?s construction in
action.  Similarly to MacKinnon, Dworkin believes that
the violation of women is made sexuality.  She sees
gender insubordination as a means by which men express
their power by dominating women, and maintaining
female submissiveness.  Finally, Dworkin views male
dominance as male pleasure.  Moreover, she sees
violations such as the act of rape as the defining
paradigm of sexuality: the ultimate display of male
power and female powerlessness.  Pornography is the
arena where Dworkin see male sexuality being
represented (1993, p.5).  Aware of this, Dworkin is
one of many feminists whose life is led in a state of
terror.

THE SEXUALIZATION OF INEQUALITY
            It is through the act of sex alone,
MacKinnon claims, that men sexualize inequality.
MacKinnon views all acts of heterosexual sex as acts
of dominance.  Rape is the foremost representation of
sex as an act of dominance.  When is it that sexuality
is constructed by male power and from inequality?
According to MacKinnon, ?violence is sex when it is
practiced as sex? (1997, p.164).  Pornography enables
men to construct sexuality.  The male power embedded
in pornography allows men to make inequality into sex
by expressing violence as sex.  There is extreme
danger in pornography?s expression of violence as sex.
 Such an expression allows men the capability to play
out such violent expression in the lives of women not
displayed in pornographic magazines or films, but
women who live in a real world, women such as you and
I.

  Pornography As A Form Of Sex

Many people question why feminists need concern
themselves with the issue of pornography.  ?If you
don?t like it, then don?t look.?  Remarks like this
only fortify the need to research pornography, its
role in shaping sexuality, and why feminists need to
claim it as a valid feminist issue.

?A feminism that seeks to understand women?s situation
in order to change it must therefore identify,
criticize, and move those forms and forces that have
circumscribed women in the world and in the mind?
(MacKinnon 1987, 15).

How would one identify pornography today?  It is
important to not only identify the theoretical
standpoint that sexuality is exemplified by
pornography, but to understand where and how the
standpoints are displayed.  This form of
identification will allow for critical thinking about
pornography to truly occur.

In identifying pornography, I would look towards what
is identified by it.  Sex and sexuality are identified
by pornography.  Pornography is a form of sex, often
prostituted sex, nonetheless.  Could a skin magazine
such as Playboy, not showing a picture of intercourse,
be sex?  Could a pornographic film showing a scene of
a naked woman lying chained and blindfolded be
considered sex?  To both questions, the answer is yes.
 And why?  An act, in any form, that displays
dominant/submissive behavior, perhaps engaging in or
suggesting an engagement in violent behavior, allows
for the possibility of sexual arousal.  That
pornography allows one to become sexually aroused
means that it becomes sex itself.  That is the form it
takes (MacKinnon 1987, 6).    Best said in the words
of Georges Bastille: ?In essence, the domain of
eroticism is the domain of violence, or violation?
(Dworkin 1993, 19).  Pornography, as a form of sex,
acts as a domain of violence.  For this reason, male
power allows sexuality to be shaped by violence, and
produce violent crimes in our daily lives. ?Male
sexual power is the substance of culture? (Dworkin
1981, 23).

Objectification

Pornography violates women indirectly and directly.
Women, as non-consumers of pornography are still
affected by the sexual inequality that it strives to
reproduce and maintain.  Women who are photographed or
filmed, are those affected directly.  The degrading
manner in which women are displayed through
pornography is one consequence of the sexualization of
inequality.

Pornography allows for women to be seen as objects.
It allows for the continuous objectification of women.
 A woman may be represented as an animal through
costume, or reference, i.e. a Playboy bunny.  Even if
a woman is saved from being reduced to an animal, in
pornography she is always an object.  Regardless of
how she is displayed, the pornographed woman is always
an object of male desire.

The truth is that the women who grace the pages or
screen will never be seen for anything other then a
breast, a leg, a vagina, an object to be used for male
pleasure.  In a society where male domination
prevails, women are denied individual status.  The sex
that men have is with ?their image of a woman?
(MacKinnon 1984, 328).  She is not Alison, Kim, or
Jennifer.  She is a ?playmate,? a ?bunny,? or a
?chick.?  If not this, she is reduced to a body part.

?There is only a generic she, frequently called cunt
so that what defines the genus is clear.  She is the
hole between her legs.  Her nature justifies whatever
men need to do to make that hole accessible to them on
their terms? (Dworkin 1993, 175).

 Once again, ?on their terms.?  This is the power that
pornography provides for men.  Moreover, this is the
answer to sexual construction that pornography
provides for men.  Said best by MacKinnon,
?pornography provides an answer.  Pornography permits
men to have whatever they want sexuality? (1997,
p.176).  Whatever they want sexuality, and whenever
they want it.  Objectification of women is
pornography?s visual display, male dominance in
sexuality is the display in action.

  Women Without A Voice

What becomes of objectified women?  Based on the
theoretical claims of MacKinnon and Dworkin, I would
argue, whatever men want to become of them.  By
controlling our sexuality, men control our lives.  In
an androcentric society, the one common thread among
women is that they are voiceless.  Male power
exhibited by dominance in pornography, takes away the
very voice of women.  Graced over magazine pages or
across a screen, a woman is incapable of speaking the
word that a pleasure seeking man hates to hear: ?no.?

Based on pornography?s popularity, I would assert that
this is the way men like it.  In fact, they don?t want
to hear no.  They don?t want to hear anything.  Women
are viewed as a dispensable object of male pleasure.
The role of women is to please her man, and to not say
a word about it.  The danger, as I will further
discuss later, is that this fantasy of the
ever-agreeing, voiceless woman, is not reality.
However, blinded by pornographic euphoria, some men
try to turn it into a reality.  The difference being,
when they hear no, and keep using the woman as an
object for their pleasure, they are committing the
crime of rape.  Because pornography makes rape seem
wanted, normal, and acceptable, it essentially
legitimizes the act of rape in our society.  Through
violating women, the sexual message in pornography is
that if there is one thing that women are worthy of,
it is sexual mistreatment (Dines et al. 1998, 19).

  Misconceptions
The sexualization of inequality exhibited through
pornography projects misconceptions about women, their
sexuality and their levels of enjoyment.  Dworkin
makes a passionate statement about the misconceptions
that pornography makes about women.  In her eyes, and
my own,

?Pornography says women want to be raped, battered,
kidnapped, maimed; pornography says women want to be
humiliated, shamed, defamed; pornography says that
women say No but mean Yes-Yes to violence, Yes to
pain? (Dworkin 1993, 203).

  Pornography allows men a dangerous role to act out
their power and set the standard for sexuality.  It
gives men a stage from which to vocalize what we, as
women, are not allowed to say.  Pornography gives men
a stage to stand on and tell others what women like,
what women enjoy, and what women want, as best
exhibited through the above words of Andrea Dworkin.
But news flash?these are not the things that women
like, that women enjoy, nor that women want.

  The Liberated Woman?
Catharine MacKinnon and Andrea Dworkin both recognize
Linda Marchiano as a victim of the sexualization of
inequality.  In fact, Linda, like all women, are
defined ?by what is sexually done to them? (MacKinnon
1987, 14).  As a result of being a pornographic icon,
endless projections were made about Linda?s level of
enjoyment.  Though contrary to popular pornographic
belief, smiles are not always blissful, and shrieks,
yells, and deep breaths are not always orgasmically
induced.

Linda was pornographed in Deep Throat, a film that
many felt brought upon sexual freedom for numerous
people.  The premise of the film is that Linda
Lovelace (Linda Marchiano) is a woman whose clitoris
is located in her throat.  The location of her
clitoris leads to Linda loving oral sex as it is a
source of her own pleasure.  Men brought their
girlfriends and wives in hordes to see the film,
hoping that the source of Linda?s ?sexual liberation?
would look attractive to those women viewers
(MacKinnon 1987, 128).

How liberating! they would say.  But liberating for
whom?  For Linda?  Well, no, not quite.  Linda
Marchiano was a victim of torture, death threats,
humiliation, sodimization, and rape.  All of this at
the hands of her then husband, and pornographer
producer, Chuck Traynor.  Oftentimes forced to perform
with a gun to her head, Linda had no choice but to act
out the role of the fresh faced, sexually liberated
woman (MacKinnon 1987, 129).  Her liberation
performance was a mere act that pornographers sold to
the public, and that the public bought.  Perhaps it
was bought because it represented male desires, and
hope that one day the girl on ?his? arm could be
?liberated? too.  Of course this sexual liberation of
women implied increase sexual pleasure for men.
Throughout this ?liberating? film, MacKinnon viewed
Linda as acting with an ?out-of-it-ness.?

?Linda?s apparent enjoyment, which was a well-done
charade, is the charade women learn in order to
survive: to project sexual enjoyment whether we feel
it or not? (MacKinnon 1987, 129).

I would argue, this is what is being offered to our
women.  Pornography offers women a role.  Have sex
with your man, please him in ways that may cause you
pain or physical harm, smile when it hurts, tell him
you want more, tell him where you want it, tell him
you like it hard, tell him it doesn?t hurt, or better
yet don?t tell him anything.  Instead, just do?do
whatever he tells you, act the role of the dutiful
girlfriend, or loving wife.  Strive to please at all
costs, even personal costs.  Strive to please, and
fear not the display of your powerlessness.  Indeed,
men find physical weakness and incapability as one
form of feminine beauty (Dworkin 1981, 16).  This
female characteristic reinforces the notion that males
possess power.

The game is charades, one word, thing, you are a
puppet.  Your strings are being pulled in every which
way, you are entangled, you are in pain, and there is
nothing you can do, just smile and act like you are
enjoying it.  ?Pornography exploits every experience
in people?s lives that imprisons them?and would have
you believe that it frees sexual feelings?
(Stoltenberg 1993, 70).

            Pornography is the puppeteer, and women
its puppets.  Through films like Deep Throat, or
magazines like Hustler, outlandish expectations are
established for women.  Some women meet these
expectations easily, others not so easily.
Nonetheless, women become submissive to the domination
of men.  Many women simply project sexual enjoyment
through their painstaking efforts, but far few cry out
?free at last? when it is over.

Possession: The Male Experience Of Female Sexuality

With such expectations placed on women, how does this
affect what men experience as our (female) sexuality?
The described expectations are further representations
of male power: male dominance/female submissiveness.
The sexualization of inequality in pornography allows
for this inequality to flourish.  Pornography permits
a domain for male superiority.  Using, and most often
abusing their power, men view women as objects that
they can possess.

?In contemporary industrial society, pornography is an
industry that mass produces sexual intrusion on,
access to, possession and use of women by and for men
for profit.  It exploits women?s sexual and economic
inequality for gain.  It sells women to men as and for
sex.  It is a technologically sophisticated traffic in
women? (MacKinnon 1989, 195).

Drug trafficking is a common phrase, but women
trafficking?  Sadly, though not a common phrase, it is
a common practice.
GENDER INEQUALITY MADE NATURAL

            The claim that trafficking in women is a
common practice can be backed up by the theoretical
claims of MacKinnon and Dworkin.  Dworkin asserts that
social institutions and sexual practices are among the
things that male domination is a system of (1993,
p.174).  That men are able to ?possess? women is a
symbol of their ?ownership.?  Moreover, this ownership
represents a gender hierarchy where men own women
publicly, as a social class, as well as privately, as
sexual beings (Dworkin 1993, 176).

            Male power allows for gender differences
to be encompassed by gender hierarchy.  Thus, the
inequalities of men and women become part of the
hierarchy, and are deemed acceptable and natural.  The
gender hierarchy allows for the subordination of women
to be accepted as the natural history of mankind.
Dworkin theorizes that subordination includes a
hierarchy, a gender hierarchy.  Hierarchies are
composed of one group on top, another below.  In the
gender hierarchy, men are on top, and women are on the
bottom (Dworkin 1993, 248).  The inferior placing of
women in the gender hierarchy leads to many
implications for women?s experiences and their
sexuality as one such experience.

  Men On Top: Subordination Embedded In The Female
Experience

When women, as a group and individually, are placed at
the bottom of a hierarchy, they may accept that no
matter what they do, no matter what they say, no
matter how high their hopes, they will always assume
that bottom level.  Men enforce this gender inequality
through dominance and subordination.  Dworkin views
subordination as violence.  Furthermore, she views
pornography?s sexualization of hierarchy as a means of
producing a ?carnivorous? characteristic in men.  Men
become so desirous of the pleasure which subordinating
women gives them, that the act of imposing the gender
hierarchy becomes sexually pleasing as well.  Sex is
the ultimate practice of imposing such subordination
(1993, p.267).  In this way, pornography
?institutionalizes the sexuality of male supremacy?
(MacKinnon 1989, 197).

In support of MacKinnon?s theory, John Stoltenberg
asserts that pornography institutionalizes the
sexuality of male supremacy by saying, ?Here?s
how?Here?s who...Here?s why??  Through keeping women
?down,? pornography makes female subordination erotic,
sexy, and thrilling.  ?It keeps sexism necessary for
some people to have sexual feelings? (Stoltenberg
1993, 7).  Pornography is dependent on inequality.
Without it, men would not be able to violate,
dominate, and use force.  Without inequality there
would exist no male sexual arousal (MacKinnon 1989,
211).

The most common ending of pornographic films is the
footage of a man ejaculating onto the body of a woman
(Dines et. al 1998, 67).  This clearly supports
MacKinnon and Dworkin?s claims that inequality through
the gender hierarchy uses subordination to construct
sexuality.  Ejaculating on a woman, and not in her,
exhibits male hierarchy by reducing the women to an
object for male pleasure.  In many ways this action is
a form of men ?keeping women in their place.?  It is
degrading, and humiliating, and is a pornographic tool
to show the woman not as a woman, but as a whore,
slut, etc?

            This is where we stand.  This is our
reality.  Pornography makes inequality into sex,
thereby enjoyable, and makes inequality into gender,
thereby natural.  As MacKinnon theorizes: ?The values
of pornography are the values that rule our lives?
(1987, p.132).  Support for MacKinnon?s claim can be
found through Carol Gilligan?s eloquent usage of
Viriginia Woolf in ?Women?s Place in Man?s Life
Cycle.?

??It is obvious that the values of women differ very
often from the values which have been made by the
other sex?it is the masculine values that
prevail??(1997, p.206).

Inequality, male power, subordination, and dominance
are valued.  Sexuality constructed at the hands of men
is valued.  I would go on to further claim that those
things not valued in pornography are not valued in our
lives.  The female voice, the word ?No?, women as
human beings are not valued.  Where does this reality
leave us?  It leaves us to live in a world where
pornography violates our women, so men practice
violence on our women.  Somehow, both have acts become
normalized.  Somehow.

The Imitation of Art: How Pornography Makes For Our
Sexual Reality

Pornography acts as an information source for male
sexuality.  Later on, pornography becomes the
practice.  Andrea Dworkin reports on research proving
that pornography, embedded with perceptions of female
pleasure through abuse, is teaching male sexual
strategy (1993, p.207).  There is an old saying that
children live what they learn.  I believe the same to
be true of men who use pornography.  Be well aware,
this is a dangerous practice.

            In contrast to Dworkin and MacKinnon?s
theory that pornography teaches a ?sexual strategy?
based on abuse, is the declaration of a journalist and
the female pornographer producer whom she quoted.

? ?I have women come up to me all the time saying,
?thank you so much, I learned about oral sex from
you,? or ?I learned how to ask somebody to wear a
condom.?  In fact, quite a few viewers use porn videos
not only for titillation, but as inspiration and
education.  Although there are many educational sex
tapes out there, that doesn't stop people from picking
up a few ideas from the mainstream releases? (Selke
2000, 40).

Dworkin and MacKinnon both view rape as the ultimate
display of male power.  The fact that rape is
glorified through pornography should come as no
surprise.

?The sexual colonialization of women?s bodies is a
material reality: men control the sexual and
reproductive uses of women?s bodies.  In this system
of male power, rape is the paradigmatic sexual act?
(Dworkin 1993, 229).

Pornography allows men to feel like they possess
women.  Unfortunately, some men do not differentiate
between fantasy and reality.  In relation to fantasy
and reality differential, some libertarian feminists
denounce the radical feminist theories of Dworkin and
MacKinnon.  One feminist criticism aimed at radical
feminism is that their theories habitually equate
female victimization with female sexuality.
Furthermore, some libertarian feminists criticize
radical feminist theory for depicting pornographic
fantasy as lacking a positive meaning for women?s
sexuality (Berger et al. 1991, 42).  In support of
Dworkin and MacKinnon?s theories, I would argue that
any positive fantasies that are found in pornography,
and pornographic fantasy, are learned attitudes about
what female sexuality and sexual pleasure for women
are and should be.

In Pornography: Men Possessing Women, Dworkin presents
the theory that male sexuality is interchangeable with
male power (1981).  Many researchers have found
Dworkin?s theory to be quite valid.  Lynne Segal
applies this theory to her critique of pornography.
She redefines pornography as ??material which depicts
violence against women, and is in itself violence
against women? (Segal, 1993, 8).

Pornography allows men to impose their fantasies into
our realities.  Moreover, it gives men a way to
dissolve women of any human worth through acts of
violence, particularly rape.  ?Pornography is the
Theory, Rape is the Practice.? (Unknown).  Upon seeing
women as a dispensable object, existing for their
pleasure, men are misguided to believe that they can
take whatever they want from women, including sex.

A Call For The Reconstruction Of Sexuality
Pornography sends harmful messages to women, as it
serves to keep them in a state of oppression.  It also
sends harmful messages to young boys and men.
Pornography tells ?male truth as if it were universal
truth? (Dworkin 1993, 22).  Political researcher and
writer Dany Lacombe views the theory of truth as the
producer of a male sexuality that exists as the
political problem that feminists face (1994, p.43).
Women alone must be the truth tellers of their
sexuality.  If a female construction of sexuality were
the issue then no political problem would exist.
Because it is male sexuality, and because male
sexuality is constructed from male power, means that
feminist issues such as pornography are continuously
in gridlock.

Also harmful is that pornography ?sets the public
standard for the treatment of women in private and the
limits of tolerance for the treatment of women in
public, such as in rape trials? (MacKinnon 1989, 247).
 In the 1980?s The Question of Pornography: Research
Findings and Policy Implications, written by
Donnerstein, Linz, and Penrod, presented empirical
research to support MacKinnon and Dworkin?s
theoretical claims.  Through their research, the
correlation between pornography and violence, as well
as the norm of subordination, were documented.  The
researchers of this book strove to publicly emphasize
that:

??exposure to aggressive pornography can not only
arouse some men, but might in some cases, in
particular contexts, alter certain men?s attitudes and
behaviour towards women.  Specifically, such exposure
can produce more calloused attitudes towards women and
greater acceptance of rape myths which downplay or
dismiss the significance of rape? (Segal, 1993, 13).

Pornography cannot be the source of sexual
construction, for then sexuality will never be free of
inequality. According to a recent article in Hypatia,
to achieve equality it is necessary to be
representative of women at large.  ?We must somehow
take account of the diversity and complexity of
women's experiences, including their experiences with
pornography? (Carse 1999, 109).  Women alone must
define their sexuality, and be free of the male
oppression that is kept alive by pornography.  The
standards for the treatment of women must be the
highest standards equated with human rights.  Women
want and deserve justice.

As women, we are presented with a challenge.  Men and
women have learned sex and sexuality through a
patriarchal institution of sex.  The reconstruction of
sexuality will not be a path free of a few bumps along
the way.  What this implies is that, ??for some time
we might have to face great uncertainty about who we
are as sexual beings and what kind of sex we want to
have? (Dines et. al, 1998, 6).  Pornography has
allowed for humans to be preconditioned for a
sexuality of dominance/submission.  Individually,
people must decide the sexuality that they want.

  The Instillation of Hope

            Andrea Dworkin and Catharine A.
MacKinnon?s feminist theories on pornography are
worthy of intensive critical thought.  Embedded with
passion and significance, their theories offer lenses
through which to view sexuality in our culture.  Both
theories make the claim that male power is the gateway
to the arena of pornography.  Within this arena occurs
the sexualization of inequality as well as the
normalization of gender differences and hierarchy.
Pornography epitomizes sexuality.  Pornography exists
to preserve male power, and female subordination,
through the construction of sexuality.  Men and women
must embrace feminist theory such as Dworkin?s and
MacKinnon?s.  Furthermore, men and women must apply
such theory and bring awareness to the dangerous role
that pornography plays in each of our lives.

?And life, which means everything to me, becomes
meaningless,      because these celebrations of
cruelty destroy my very capacity to feel and to care
and to hope. I hate the pornographers most of all for
depriving me of hope? (Dworkin 1993, 23).

It is time to fight the battle, and time to overcome
the oppression that pornography permits.  Together, we
must end the production and consumption, the supply
and demand, of pornography and inequality.  Let us
work together to instill hope in women and men.  As
women, let us reconstruct sexuality by our hands
alone.  Let us celebrate the freedom that awaits us.