[nasional_list] [ppiindia] FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 2,000 YEARS THE POPE SAYS.. I'M SORRY

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 10:51:51 +0200

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Beasiswa dalam negeri dan luar negeri S1 S2 S3 dan post-doctoral
scholarship, kunjungi
http://informasi-beasiswa.blogspot.com
**http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=17767437&method=full&siteid=94762&headline=for-the-first-time-in-2-000-years-the-pope-says---i-m-sorry--name_page.html

FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 2,000 YEARS THE POPE SAYS.. I'M SORRY
By Stephen White

THE Pope made history yesterday by apologising for his comments about Islam.

Benedict XVI sparked outrage when he quoted a 14th century emperor who said the
Prophet Mohammed brought the world only "evil and inhuman things".

Italian nun Leonella Sgorbati was shot dead in the Muslim backlash in Somalia
and two Christian churches were torched in the Palestinian West Bank. But the
Pope said yesterday: "I am deeply sorry for the reactions in some countries to
a few passages which were considered offensive to the sensibility of Muslims."

He added: "These words were in fact a quotation from a medieval text which do
not in any way express my personal thought."

Benedict XVI, speaking amid tight security at his summer home in Italy, went
on: "I hope this serves to appease hearts and to clarify the true meaning of my
address, which in its totality was an invitation to frank and sincere dialogue,
with mutual respect." It is thought to be the first time a Pope, believed by
Catholics to be infallible, has said sorry. His apology went out live on Al
Jazeera TV.

Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood later called for "good, civilised and co-operative"
relations with Christians.

But Turkey's religious affairs minister Mehmet Aydin said: "You either say I'm
sorry in a proper way or not at all. Are you sorry for saying such a thing or
because of its consequences?" The Pope is due to visit Turkey in November.

Marksmen were stationed on the roof of the Pope's residence and the faithful
waiting outside to hear his address had water bottles and umbrellas
confiscated.

The Mujahedeen Army vowed to attack the Vatican. In a film it showed a crucifix
sliced in two with a sword and footage of Benedict, 79, and the World Trade
Center burning.

A voice said: "We swear to destroy their cross in the heart of Rome and their
Pope will weep as the Vatican is struck." Effigies of the Pontiff have been
burned across the Muslim world. There were protests in Iran where cleric Ahmad
Khatami said President George Bush and Benedict were "united to repeat the
Crusades". The Vatican described the killing of the nun as "a horrible act".

Sister Sgorbati, 66, had lived in Somalia for four years and trained nurses at
the hospital where she was shot. She was from the Missionaries of the
Consolation in Nepi, near Rome. Aides of the Pope have now been sent to Islamic
countries to explain the Pontiff's message. His Secretary of State Cardinal
Tarcisio Bertone said: "They will extinguish the flames of misunderstanding."

Some officials said the crisis might not have happened if Benedict had not
demoted the Vatican's expert on Islamic affairs.

Birmingham-born Archbishop Michael Fitzgerald, the most senior Brit at the
Vatican, was moved to Cairo in February.

Voice of the Mirror: Page 6

s.white@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Mohon Perhatian:

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi