[nasional_list] [ppiindia] Confusing Hate Speech With Freedom of Expression, Again!

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 10:01:34 +0100

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Beasiswa dalam negeri dan luar negeri S1 S2 S3 dan post-doctoral
scholarship, kunjungi
http://informasi-beasiswa.blogspot.com
**http://www.arabnews.com/?page=7&section=0&article=77663&d=12&m=2&y=2006

Sunday, 12, February, 2006 (13, Muharram, 1427)

      Confusing Hate Speech With Freedom of Expression, Again!
      Dr. Khaled Batarfi, kbatarfi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

      Many commented on my last column about the difference between freedom of
expression and hate speech. Some are still confused about the issue and
couldn't understand the strong Muslim response. But before I give a summary of
the main arguments advanced by some of my readers, here's some "breaking news"
from Denmark.

      According to MediaGuardian.co.uk, Jyllands-Posten, the Danish newspaper
that first published the cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him),
refused to run drawings making fun of Jesus Christ three years ago, on the
grounds that they could be offensive to readers and were not funny.

      In April 2003, Danish illustrator Christoffer Zieler submitted a series
of unsolicited cartoons dealing with the resurrection of Christ to
Jyllands-Posten. He received an e-mail back from the paper's Sunday editor,
Jens Kaiser, which said: "I don't think Jyllands-Posten's readers will enjoy
the drawings. As a matter of fact, I think that they will provoke an outcry.
Therefore, I will not use them."

      The illustrator told the Norwegian daily Dagbladet, which saw the e-mail,
he felt Jyllands-Posten rated the feelings of its Christian readers higher than
that of its Muslim readers.

      No comment! Now, let's go back to some of the comments. I've discussed
this issue with dozens of people in the West, including many in the US and
Europe, and the overwhelming response is curiosity and cynicism.

      Three trains of thought seem to come up the most: 1) In the West,
Christians and Jews are mocked and insulted in articles and cartoons all the
time.

      This usually leads to many angry letters to the editors and public debate
on talk radio and cable news. It never leads to violence and destruction.
Freedom of religion also means that others don't have to live by the rules of
your religion.

      2) The claim that hate speech toward religion is causing this rage seems
bogus, since the Arab and Muslim press routinely prints horribly vile cartoons
about Jews. This leads many to believe that this whole controversy is being
contrived by anti-Western imams, or others with an agenda that includes
attacking the West or causing a distraction, (Syria and Iran for example).

      3) Don't Muslims see the irony that in response to cartoons claiming an
inherent link between Islam and terrorism, they commit acts of terrorism?

      It seems many still don't get it. You can't compare the holiest man in
Islam with Hitler, Statue of Liberty and Uncle Sam but to Jesus, Moses and Mary
(peace be upon them). And you don't compare apples to oranges. The Holocaust is
an event, not a prophet.

      The Western media is full of negative depictions of Islam and Muslims in
movies, talk shows, news analyses and commentary, especially after Sept. 11.

      But they never generated the outcry the Danish caricatures of the Prophet
did.

      I am against any stereotyping and targeting of people of any race or
faith, in any part of the world.

      That's why I am calling for widening the scope of the anti-Semitism laws
that protect Jews to include the rest of us. Can anyone explain to me why not?

Mohon Perhatian:

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi
4. Satu email perhari: ppiindia-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
5. No-email/web only: ppiindia-nomail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx