[nas-2000] Re: usb storage on dual nas

  • From: Rob <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nas-2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 19:10:51 +0100

hey! ;-)

On 27/08/07, philipp Wehrheim <flipstar@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Do you have ide or sata disks?
> If you have ide disk you may want to try "the usb kernel" -> see the
> wiki. But if you try you'll do at your own risk aka dont blame me if it
> is not working ... :-)

Hi. Yes, I spotted that... but I'm on SATA drives, so thought it
unwise to risk doing anything that, erm, fundemental!  I rely on the
boxes, and whilst I don't mind trying anything that a power-cycle or
telnet-in-and-change-back will fix, I'm trying to avoid bricking it;..
 :-)

> > Linux nas.internal.irrelevant.com 2.6.10_dev-versatile926ejs #7 Mon
> > Feb 26 08:40:19 CST 2007 armv4tl unknown
>
> It is the same kernel the raidsonic nas -> the tinky firmware is using
>
> uname -a gives me:
> Linux nas-2000 2.6.10_dev-versatile926ejs #1 Thu Jan 11 14:27:43 CST
> 2007 armv4tl unknown

Yep, I spotted that, made me hopeful :-)

> > There are lots of references to /dev/sd* devicexs in rc. files in
> > /etc, eg rc.usb does that dd to find out if to mount as fat32 or
> > ext2/3.
>
> yes the rc scripts are really generic and even test for 2.4
> kernel/modules etc ...

Sounds to me like they've all done very little to the sample system
that storlink will have supplied...

I did try and get the gpl sources out of kenable, where I got my boxes
from, but all they could supply was a selection of tars for the
various applications used.  I couldn't find anything for the kernel..

Rob