[nas-2000] Re: How many IDE channels

  • From: "Remco" <skelter.skelter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <nas-2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 22:19:34 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "philipp Wehrheim" <flipstar@xxxxxxx>

To: <nas-2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2007 4:53 PM
Subject: [nas-2000] Re: How many IDE channels

Hi,

Markus Woessner wrote:
Hello everybody,

I'm wondering if the NAS2000 has 2 IDE channels, that is: Can I connect
a master and a slave drive?

Sure you can.
Space is a problem and I guess IDE-Cables are limitted to 45? cm if you
use a longer cable you may get strange io errors:-(

See attachments (sorry about the poor quality).
I was a bit worried about the IDE cable that was blocking part of the tiny fan inside the NAS, so I destroyed a notebook cooling pad and glued the fan on the outside, it generates a lot of wind! I know a lot of it is being blocked, but it's still better than it was...

The thing on the left is a regular USB harddisk, that's connected to the nas using the IDE cable you can see on the pics. It's automatically mounted and shared as \IDE2. The HDD even spins down!

--
flip

Sorry for the question, but I'm still waiting for my NAS to come. That's
why I can't find out on my own but I'm curious.