[nanomsg] Re: UDP & TLS RFCs

  • From: Martin Sustrik <sustrik@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 14:21:22 +0100

On 24/03/14 23:41, Alex Elsayed wrote:
> Garrett D'Amore wrote:
>
>> That would not be a terrible way to recast the specs.  Although,
>> I think it might come about that we need or want to handle more
>> details than just stream vs datagram semantics on some
>> transports.  For example, imagine websocket, where we might want
>> to specify some things that are neither covered by websocket
>> itself nor by the generic SP over STREAM bits.  (In particular,
>> for websocket, we might want to have a way to select from
>> different “applications” as part of the early websocket
>> negotiation.)
>
> Oh, for sure - but my point is that by defining based on semantics,
> then you have a base to reference in everything else. Then the only
> thing something protocol-specific needs to do is say "This has X
> semantics, so refer to RFC Y, and we take advantage of special
> property Z like so..."
>
> Plus, that lets you collapse TLS and DTLS' protocol-specific
> portions into a single RFC, because they apply the same _security_
> semantics to SOCK_STREAM and SOCK_DGRAM _transport_ semantics
> respectively.

I was toying with the similar ideas as well, but at the moment we are
not sure what can be considered a common subset of functionality for a
specific subdomain (such as stram-based transprorts). Let's follow the
rule of three and try to extract the common functionality only after
we have three specific cases.

>> I do agree with your earlier idea that tls+tcp:// seems like a
>> good way to specify this scheme.  I’ll go ahead and change my
>> implementation to do that.

+1

>> I think we need to include the syntax of these “addresses” as
>> part of the RFCs, so that different applications or
>> implementations can exchange them.
>
> That does make sense.

RFCs typically don't discuss specifics of the API. However, adding a
*suggestion* should be doable:

"In case the implementation needs to refer to this SP protocol mapping
it is preferable that it uses "tls+tcp" name."

Which then raises the issue of the sign '+' which may be valid in URIs
but not in other kinds of identifiers.

Martin