[nanomsg] Re: Simplifying CMake build

  • From: Martin Sustrik <sustrik@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bruce Mitchener <bruce.mitchener@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 16:30:35 +0200

Hi Bruce,

There was a single working build system that worked on all platforms
before. I think the question is why this actually needed to change
(outside of ideological reasons).

1. CMake doesn't work that well for cross-building.
2. CMake-generated packages have CMake dependency whereas autotools packages are not dependent on autotools 3. As I was said, maintainers are various unix distros find it easier (more standard?) to work with autotools than with CMake.

I am not an expert on the topic, but feel free to discuss the claims above (on non-ideologic basis).