[nanomsg] Re: Adopting a CoC

  • From: Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nanomsg <nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2016 15:58:48 +0100

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 8:45 AM, Garrett D'Amore <garrett@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am honestly embarrassed and shocked by this community's response to my
proposal. I think I may need to reexamine my own assumptions around this
issue.

FWIW, I completely agree. I think CoCs are a force for good; making it
more explicit what kind of behavior you expect from community members
is a good thing, and externalizing the expectations that you already
expect (and, maybe in some cases, as BDFL, enforce), far from creating
an elite, should level the playing field, because it allows those who
may be less-privileged (pick your choice of gender, race, sexual
orientation) to expect that any hostile behavior (in the widest sense)
will be acted upon.

To me, it's disheartening to see all these voices opposed to an
initiative like this. I'd have hoped for more.

Dirkjan