[muglo] slow hard drive

  • From: Alex <admeddemda@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 13:21:43 -0400

I don't think my speed problem is a 9.2.2 issue... I was throwing
that out there in hopes someone would agree, lol, as that's easy to
fix.
I am setting up a B&W and am surprised by it's slow response to text
input... even my SE/30 is faster. A friend picked one up in toronto
and I offered to set it up, mainly so I'd get the chance to try out a
B&W before buying. Right now it's slower than my tower clone system
(49mhz bus vs. B&W 100mhz). This makes no sense.

So... this has a 40G HD in it, and now I am thinking perhaps that's
the problem. But why would text input be slow, and everything else
seem perfectly normal?
Is there an external cache slot on the B&W, or is the cache built
into the chip?

Also, with 1GIG of ram, why won't virtual memory turn on? Any way
around this? Not that it's really needed, but it does make programs
require less ram to run.

thanks for any suggestions here...