[muglo] Re: <no subject>

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 19:17:53 -0500

on 7/2/02 17:31, Jim Taylor at hawk@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> I'm running word 98, which I bought with the computer since it didn't come
> with any software.

Click on this link to get to the downloads page (or copy it to your
browser):
<http://www.microsoft.com/mac/download/default.asp>

You can try this updater -- it should work on Word 98 (it's for Office but
Word 98 standalone is the same as the Office Word 98)
<http://www.microsoft.com/mac/download/office98/Off98Updater.asp>

This might be worth downloading if you transfer documents with Windows
computers:
<http://www.microsoft.com/mac/download/office98/word_excel_ppt_filter.asp>

Also, IE 5.1 can be had at:
<http://www.microsoft.com/mac/DOWNLOAD/IE/ie51.asp>

And, most importantly, OS 9.1 update:
<http://www.info.apple.com/validate/agree.taf?item=91> (click Agree)

<http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/En
glish-North_American/Macintosh/System/>

PS you can download the smaller .BIN format from the MS site.

> Curious about having 200-300 megs free. My "largest unsused block" (is that
> what you mean?) is usually about 65 megs. I don't know anyway to make it
> higher since I don't run more than one or two programs at a time.

I meant 200-300 MB disk space free (I seem to recall you were saying you had
70 MB free disk space).

> Also curious, the computer came with 69 megs (or something like that).
> Didn't seem like much to me so i bought more. Doubled it, I think. Can I add
> still more? I remember reaching the limit on my LC.

It probably came with 64 MB and you added 64 MB (you can see how much you
have and where by opening up the "Apple System Profiler" and looking at the
Memory Overview). Yes, you can add two more DIMMs and they can be up to 256
MB each. So, without replacing your 64 MB chips you could reach
64+64+256+256 = 640 MB RAM. If you were to replace your 64 MB chips you
could reach 1 GB RAM.

going to <//www.freelists.org/archives/muglo>

<paulthomas@xxxxxxx>