[muglo] gradient transparency

  • From: Doug Bale <dougbale@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 16:47:48 -0400 (EDT)

Here's one that's stymied me for years, and it's just come up again. Is
there a way in Photoshop to apply a gradient to an image layer or to an
adjustment layer so that the layer's opacity changes smoothly from 100
per cent to zero? Photoshop's help sites don't help.

For instance, to smoothly fade out the bottom of a photo so that type
could be placed over it, is it possible to use a gradient to take the
image from 100 per cent at the top to zero at the bottom?
Alternatively, could I place a white layer over top of it and apply the
gradient in reverse, from 100 per cent at the bottom to zero at the
top?

The only way I've ever been able to achieve roughly the desired effect
has been to use the biggest brush and paint over the bottom of the
image with white, using ever lower opacities as I worked my way up; but
it's a time-consuming work-around, and imprecise.

Scott, or anybody?