[muglo] Re: gradiant transparency

  • From: Gerhard Kuhn <gerhardk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 14:44:11 -0700

It is pretty easy once you know how.  Once you open the photo in Photoshop
double click on the layer and photo shop will rename it Layer 0 or you can
choose a name.  Then you click on the second button from left at the bottom of
the Layer Palette, called add vector mask.  Now make sure you have the gradient
tool selected and drag from the top of the photo down.  You can continue past
were the photo ends what this does is make the transition more gradual and the
bottom will not be totally transparent.  Play with it and you will find what
works for your situation.  Generally when I do this I make duplicate the layer
and then start playing with it but it is important to turn the visibility of
the layer you are not working on off other wise the effect can't be seen and it
could be frustrating until you realize that you are changing the opacity of the
top layer but the layer underneath is an exact duplicate so in essence there is
no effect to see.

Hope that you understand my convoluted explanation

Gerhard