[muglo] Re: Web site creating

  • From: Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 07:30:31 -0400

On 4/26/05, doug rogers <dougsamu@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>=20
> On Apr 25, 2005, at 9:36 PM, Eric Dunbar wrote:
>=20
> > Repair permissions would possibly do it (try my chmod go+rx
> > suggestion), and a reinstall of OS X will certainly do it!
>=20
> in Explorer 5.2
>=20
> http://localhost/~doug/Sites/index.html fails with 403
> file://localhost/Volumes/doug/Sites/index.html displays the site just
> fine
>=20
> in Firefox
>=20
> http://localhost/~doug/Sites/index.html fails with 403
> file://localhost/Volumes/doug/Sites/index.html cannot be found
>=20
> Safari is balking at anything now after the reinstall. Slow to load,
> responds only to Quit from the keyboard. Perhaps everything isn't up to
> date yet.
>=20
> Hmmm... I said to myself. after the breakin, I got paranoid and turned
> on Filevault. After turning it off, both Explorer and Firefox access
> the
>=20
>   localhost/~doug/index.html just fine.

Yes, that would do it! FileVault will probably provide an extra level
of protection to the hierarchy in a home directory -- without being
logged in with the *user's* password (presumably) I expect that the
home directory will remain encrypted. Apache won't be able to work
that way (though, you'd expect Apple to pop up a note saying that Web
Sharing won't work with FileVault turned on).

PS Can you "recover" a lost password for a FileVaulted account? It
seems to me that if Apple's doing things properly (security-wise) it
SHOULDN'T be possible to recover the pwd since the pwd is used to
encrypt the home user account.

> Hmmm... silly me . look at those URL's!
>=20
> http://localhost/~doug/Sites/index.html still fails with 403
>=20
> Safari is still choking on something though. Hmmmmm....

The URL http://localhost/~doug/Sites/index.html should always fail
with a "not found" error, even if everything is set up right (b/c it
doesn't exist ;-)!!!

/Users/doug/Sites is a path that is "invisible" to Apache!

http://localhost/index.html points to /Library/WebServer/Documents/
http://localhost/~doug/index.html points to /Users/doug/Sites/index.html
http://localhost/~doug/Sites/index.html points to
/Users/doug/Sites/Sites/index.html

Glad to see this problem resolved. It might be worth filing a bug
report with Apple regarding this.

Eric.